Delicious watermelon varieties

Reaction score
If you have only grown pink watermelons up till now and are looking to grow something slightly different this year - then how about trying one or all three of these extremely delicious - fairly rare heirloom varieties

Yellow watermelons - there are many yellow varieties to choose from including seedless and all have an irresistibly sweet honey like flavor - which I can vouch for as being seriously delicious and totally irresistible - as I grow this one myself :love:

Yellow Watermelons .jpg

yellow watermelon slices-2.jpg

White wonder - which although loaded with rather large seeds is extremely sweet and tasty

wateemelon white wonder large.jpg

Moon and Stars - has been around since 1926 and is still very popular - not only for its incredibly sweet flesh but because of its attractively patterned skin - which resembles that of a starry sky - on either a green or midnight blue background - which am sure would be a stunning sight in anyones vegetable garden:D as well as coming in all kinds of shapes from round to oblong or pear shaped - it also comes in a range of succulent flesh colors - red, pink, orange or yellow and is known to be one of the heaviest watermelons to grow - weighing in at anything from 20 - 50lbs :D

Moon and Stars - Midnight Blue

watermelon moonandstars1.jpg

Moon and Stars - green oblong with yellow flesh

watermelon Moon-and-Stars-Yellow-Flesh-web.jpg

If I've got your taste buds going and you are wanting to grow any of these varieties of watermelon this year - all seeds are widely available from online seed suppliers :)

Reaction score
If you have only grown pink watermelons up till now and are looking to grow something slightly different this year - then how about trying one or all three of these extremely delicious - fairly rare heirloom varieties

Yellow watermelons - there are many yellow varieties to choose from including seedless and all have an irresistibly sweet honey like flavor - which I can vouch for as being seriously delicious and totally irresistible - as I grow this one myself :love:

View attachment 2105

View attachment 2111

White wonder - which although loaded with rather large seeds is extremely sweet and tasty

View attachment 2110

Moon and Stars - has been around since 1926 and is still very popular - not only for its incredibly sweet flesh but because of its attractively patterned skin - which resembles that of a starry sky - on either a green or midnight blue background - which am sure would be a stunning sight in anyones vegetable garden:D as well as coming in all kinds of shapes from round to oblong or pear shaped - it also comes in a range of succulent flesh colors - red, pink, orange or yellow and is known to be one of the heaviest watermelons to grow - weighing in at anything from 20 - 50lbs :D

Moon and Stars - Midnight Blue

View attachment 2107

Moon and Stars - green oblong with yellow flesh

View attachment 2108

If I've got your taste buds going and you are wanting to grow any of these varieties of watermelon this year - all seeds are widely available from online seed suppliers :)
I'm drooling ! looks delicious

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's the first time when I see yellow watermelons! I had no idea that they exist:p To be honest, I always thought that there are only pink ones, haha.
Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that it's impossible to grow them in my climate zone.
They all look so yummy!

Reaction score
I worked on an organic farm several years ago and we grew those varieties and more. I had never had the yellow - I was blown away by the taste of it, it has a very gentle sweetness compared to the pink ones. I definitely recommend them for people to try, they are a real taste treat!

Reaction score
Off Grid Dave - Does that mean you are thinking of growing some ?

claudine - Even though you don't get to grow watermelons where you live - I do hope you get to try one and especially the yellow variety which compared to the pink one - is out of this world delicious :love:

firelily99 - would agre with you - the heirloom watermelons and particularly the three mentioned above are way more delicious than any of the other varieties and especially the yellow ones - which with their honey like flavor - are way beyond delicious :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
claudine - Even though you don't get to grow watermelons where you live - I do hope you get to try one and especially the yellow variety which compared to the pink one - is out of this world delicious :love:
I think I've never seen them at stores here, in my area. But it's possible that I haven't noticed them.
I might have thought that they're melons. I hate melons, so usually, I stay away from them:p

Reaction score
The yellow variety looks incredibly delicious. I'm not into growing edibles, but I might really give this one a try. I'm kinda bored of the red variety, plus the flavour is starting to get kinda old for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
The yellow variety looks incredibly delicious. I'm not into growing edibles, but I might really give this one a try. I'm kinda bored of the red variety, plus the flavour is starting to get kinda old for me.
Same here, I'm bored with the red variety too. It would be nice to try something new:) Although I must say that usually, I don't like yellow fruits, lol. It's probably just a coincidence, but I hate pineapples, bananas and melons.
I'm wondering if I'd like yellow watermelons.

Reaction score
Same here, I'm bored with the red variety too. It would be nice to try something new:) Although I must say that usually, I don't like yellow fruits, lol. It's probably just a coincidence, but I hate pineapples, bananas and melons.
I'm wondering if I'd like yellow watermelons.

I don't know, but for some reason I'm starting to think that maybe the taste of the yellow watermelon might not be so bad. I'm not a big fan of green fruits, like for example kiwis, hehehe You don't like mangoes?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I don't know, but for some reason I'm starting to think that maybe the taste of the yellow watermelon might not be so bad. I'm not a big fan of green fruits, like for example kiwis, hehehe You don't like mangoes?
I hate mangoes:p But it's possible that I wouldn't feel this way about them if I could eat a fresh mango. Those that I tried were bought in a supermarket and they were completely disgusting.
As for green fruits, I don't like kiwis either, but I love green grapes, I could eat them all the time:)

Reaction score
Trellum & claudine - although I feel more than sure the flavor of yellow watermelons is something that I have already mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

I can assure you that - if you like the red variety of watermelon you will most certainly like the yellow variety - as they have a seriously delicious - irresistibly sweet honey like flavor - which I can vouch for as I grow the yellow variety myself.

As you've said that you don't like melons at all claudine - think that you may well enjoy yellow watermelon - if you were to try it prepared as a refreshing drink rather than eating it as slices of fruit .

Reaction score
I read that a while ago, sadly I don't think I will ever get the chance to taste it tho, since that variety isn't grown over here :( But it does sound like a tasty fruit, way better than the red watermelon I'm totally bored of. I'll try it if I ever get the chance (y)

Reaction score
I hate mangoes:p But it's possible that I wouldn't feel this way about them if I could eat a fresh mango. Those that I tried were bought in a supermarket and they were completely disgusting.
As for green fruits, I don't like kiwis either, but I love green grapes, I could eat them all the time:)

I know what you mean, when I was in NL I wanted to eat a mango, it looked so nice and ripe but oh oh....! When I was giving it the first bite I was disgusted! In my country the mangoes bought from the super market are fine, but over there are disgusting! The mango looked so yellow and ripe, but inside it was so tasteless and kinda hard!

Ask a Question