Cut flowers- making them last.

Reaction score
I had a table at one place I lived and I actually called it the "sweet spot" for cut flowers. It got dappled sunlight most of the day and plenty of fresh air because it was near a window that I opened frequently. Anyway, I kept roses for up to 3 weeks and cosmos, shasta daisies or zinnias for up to four weeks in a vase there, looking very nice. I used the method I explained above, a bit of sugar, and nip the stems diagonally about every three days or when the water started getting a little cloudy.

Jed

Reaction score
That's so interesting of your "sweet spot". That's something we should take into account.
Normally I just plonk the vase on a table and another on a workbench.:cool:
I should take note of those places and other they do best at.
Thanks for that tip blueiris.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I usually get the bunches at the grocery store that are 3 for $10 or $12. Sometimes I will just get one mixed bouquet and divide it up to make smaller arrangements which I place all over the house, including the bathroom.

I find as long as it is not too warm, they last about the same regardless of location, but none of the places I put them are in contact with direct sunlight.

Sometimes I change the water and sometimes I just top it off, depending on the behavior of the flowers. You have all inspired me to try making my own salt and sugar solutions though. I wonder if a drop or two of liquid fertilizer would have an effect.

Jed

Reaction score
You have all inspired me to try making my own salt and sugar solutions though. I wonder if a drop or two of liquid fertilizer would have an effect.
I wouldn't use a fertilizer but a conditioner. Something like a seaweed solution which promotes flowering. Fertilizer I would imagine is for growth only.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Jed, I was thinking something like the homemade stuff we have been discussing from banana peel or coffee grinds. Hadn't thought about seaweed. I have some banana peel water that should be ready for use, though I don't have any cut flowers to test in on.

Jed

Reaction score
Jed, I was thinking something like the homemade stuff we have been discussing from banana peel or coffee grinds. Hadn't thought about seaweed. I have some banana peel water that should be ready for use, though I don't have any cut flowers to test in on.
From what I've read on the net today it seems bacteria is the real concern for cut flowers. Adding nutrients maybe not so important. Changing water every day maybe the simplest thing to do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
From what I've read on the net today it seems bacteria is the real concern for cut flowers. Adding nutrients maybe not so important. Changing water every day maybe the simplest thing to do.

That is why some people add bleach to the water, and why you are supposed to remove any leaves low on the stem so that they are not in contact with the water. I think it also helps if the vase isn't see through or in too much direct sunlight.

Jed

Reaction score
haquegiftshop in the What's Your Favourite Cut Flower thread suggested also using a penny in the vase water.
Leached copper would certainly give off compounds that would be preserving.
I'll have to give that one an experiment. I love the ease of it.
A use for those thousands of useless pennies.o_O

Reaction score
I love some of the new ideas to preserve the cut flowers better. I think I will give all these different methods ago, as it is lovely to see the flowers last so much longer and flourish in the water. Thanks for all the great ideas! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I always add a little of the stay fresh mix you can buy at the store. I was also taught to cut the stem on the bias, but I am not sure if that really helps or if it just an urban legend kind of thing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Hmmm... I am not very fond of cut flowers because I think that they are such wastes. Anyway, when I get flowers from someone, I just put them in a vase with water. I will try adding salt or water next time to make them last longer. :) Thank you for this information!

Reaction score
I read on a frugal living blog that putting some pennies in the water with the cut flowers makes them last longer. Does anyone know if this works and why?

Reaction score
I've noticed that when you bend the ends of daffodil stems before you place them in a vase they seem to last much longer.

I was talking to a very old friend yesterday who said he preserves his flowers using colloidal silver water which he makes himself.
I found this very interesting as colloidal silver is suppose to be a health tonic and an antibiotic by some.

Does anyone else go to the trouble of making those lovely cut flowers last just that little bit longer using these methods or any others? Would love to hear of any.

We use a colloidal silver based liquid to treat our veggies and herbs before eating them, because colloidal silver is supposed to kill a lot nasty bugs. Good to know it can be used to preserve cut flowers as well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia

I know this is an old post but I was wondering if banana peel water is just as it sounds, ChannellG.........Banana peel soaked in water. Do you use it to fertilize plants? I have heard of putting banana peel into pot plants so the BP water makes sense. :)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have heard to cut the end of the flower at an angle and add sugar to help the flowers last longer when you first get them and to cut the stems a few days later to keep the ends fresh and able to take in the water when you clean the water the flowers are in.

Ask a Question