Cut flowers- making them last.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I know this is an old post but I was wondering if banana peel water is just as it sounds, ChannellG.........Banana peel soaked in water. Do you use it to fertilize plants? I have heard of putting banana peel into pot plants so the BP water makes sense. :)

Yep. Take a large jug or pitcher and put in a few banana peels. Cover with water to "steep" for a week or two and use it in a spray bottle. If you steep for longer than a week you may want to dilute it slightly. The stronger you make it, the more you will want to dilute it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We have a relative who has a farm of flower plants for the cutflower business of my cousin. The flowers from the farm travel 4 hours to the mall where the outlet is located. To make the flowers sturdy for the trip, it is sprayed with water that has a secret formula - 2 pills of Aspirin for every gallon (4 liters) of water and sprayed on the entire cutflower. When in a flower vase, the advice is to put one Aspirin pill in the water of the vase.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Yep. Take a large jug or pitcher and put in a few banana peels. Cover with water to "steep" for a week or two and use it in a spray bottle. If you steep for longer than a week you may want to dilute it slightly. The stronger you make it, the more you will want to dilute it.
Thanks ChanellG. I have some steeping at present. Can I pour the banana juice straight into the base of the pots or does it need to be sprayed?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
We have a relative who has a farm of flower plants for the cutflower business of my cousin. The flowers from the farm travel 4 hours to the mall where the outlet is located. To make the flowers sturdy for the trip, it is sprayed with water that has a secret formula - 2 pills of Aspirin for every gallon (4 liters) of water and sprayed on the entire cutflower. When in a flower vase, the advice is to put one Aspirin pill in the water of the vase.
How interesting. I'll get some aspirin and try it. Thanks for the tip Corzhens(y)

Reaction score
Country
United States
If I pick them to decorate the house with I would use some tricks to prolong their life. If my husband or son gets me flowers I'll display them for a short while, but then I let them dry out so I can put them up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
If I pick them to decorate the house with I would use some tricks to prolong their life. If my husband or son gets me flowers I'll display them for a short while, but then I let them dry out so I can put them up.

I brought home some wilted miniature roses from work and decided to just hang them upside down to dry for later use. Many years ago a friend created a nice piece of wall art by painting a wood frame and hanging it on the wall and then putting a bouquet of dried roses in the negative space. It was gorgeous! I may do something like that with them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I brought home some wilted miniature roses from work and decided to just hang them upside down to dry for later use. Many years ago a friend created a nice piece of wall art by painting a wood frame and hanging it on the wall and then putting a bouquet of dried roses in the negative space. It was gorgeous! I may do something like that with them.
I wish I was creative enough to come up with ideas like that. All my dried out flowers are in a box, inside my memento trunk. I thought about a scrap book to keep them all, but I've never gotten around to it.

We have beautiful red, yellow, and pink roses around the house. Some iris's in the front yard and some purple flowers in the side yard. I don't know what kind of flowers the purple ones are. If I could come up with different decorating ideas with those, I would be a very happy gal!

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
I drop few pinch of salt and a small copper wire inside the water filled vase. This helps the flower to stay fresh little longer. When I let the flower outdoors in the night, the flower continues to remain fresh the other day.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Well, if you like to believe what the internet tells you, apparently medication that control blood flow for humans, crushed in water, and using it to dip your flowers in, would result in the flowers having a longer lifespan, and wouldn't wilt as fast, as compared to being placed in ordinary water. I have not seen it myself, I do not have a green thumb like most of the people in this forum might have, but apparently it works the same way the medication affects the human body, and this trick has been used by flower decorators to make their designs last longer than the flowers naturally can. Again, it's from the internet, so I'd advise you to take it with a grain of salt.

Ask a Question