Cucumber question

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone - first time gardener, so I hope this isn’t a ridiculous question.

I planted a bunch of cucumbers this year, and while I got a handful so far, this one has me curious.

I *think* this is an Armenian cucumber (I don’t recall as the identifier tag got lost somehow), but it has white hairs all over it, and I’ve never seen this on a cucumber.

301CF61D-48A3-4561-9782-6159ECE80AF0.jpeg

The picture looks like it’s not a lot, but I assure you there’s more on it. It’s all uniform, which makes me think it’s not a fungus (I.e., it’s everywhere with the same amount of “thickness”, or “fur-ness”, and not concentrated on one side or one spot).

Is this normal? Is it a disease/fungus?

If this is “normal”, I think I ended up letting the cucumber go too long as the bottom is turning yellow now, so I don’t think this plant will produce more at this point, right?

Thanks for reading!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've never seen that before but when I zoom in I'd swear it was crossed with a zucchini. This topic of crossed stuff came up a few days ago and tripped me out lol. Is it possible for a cucumber to cross with a melon of some kind? I've no idea. What the heck kind of seeds are you folks planting???? Lol 😂

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've never seen that before but when I zoom in I'd swear it was crossed with a zucchini. This topic of crossed stuff came up a few days ago and tripped me out lol. Is it possible for a cucumber to cross with a melon of some kind? I've no idea. What the heck kind of seeds are you folks planting???? Lol 😂

Well, I do have watermelons, pumpkins, and squash planted, but not in a 20 ft radius. I guess anything is possible, but seems unlikely.

This is what I planted: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0BKR28NKK

Think it would be safe to cut and eat? Lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Melons, squash, cukes etc are in the cucubrit family, so yeah there's a West Virginia joke in here.

I'm not familiar with Armenian cukes but to me that looks like a very misshapen zucchini. Pickles and cucumbers have fewer but more pronounced spikes.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Is it just me that doesn't see the normal characteristics of a cucumber? Lol

301CF61D-48A3-4561-9782-6159ECE80AF0~2.jpeg

To me this is a normal baby cucumber lol

grow-cucumber-plants.jpg

It's not fuzzy like a fur coat and doesn't have the skin of a zucchini.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
rutabags-baby-fall-veggies-bitter-gourds-squashes-002.jpg

This is a Vietnamese fuzzy gourd. I'd say it's that or grossed with that.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The seeds I planted were from Amazon, brand called “Garden Basics” (it was a multi cucumber pack).

I tried posting a link to Amazon but I guess links are blocked for new members.

I do have watermelon, spaghetti squash, and pumpkins also planted, but not in a 30 foot radius of this plant, so if it was cross pollinated with something else, idk where it would come from. Would seem weird if it was cross pollinated as the cucumber is tucked away pretty good behind a bunch of leaves, and other cucumbers around it that were more accessible seems like better targets. Not saying it’s not possible, but seems unlikely to me.

So I guess the question is - chop it and toss it, or chop it and eat it? Lol

I’ll probably toss it. I have 2 more Armenians I started at the end of July so hopefully I’ll get some in by the end of the season.

Another thing to note is I did put this out a little early and it stunted for the first month and a half due to it still being cold at night + transplant shock (it was fairly small when I did the transplant). Unsure if that would have anything to do with it.

If cross pollination is the leading theory, though, I’ll accept it despite my opinions on it :p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I bought quite a few seed packets this Spring and so far I have 3 of the wrong varieties. They are either Burpee or Ferry Morse. Not sure what the problem is. Possible you got a wrong seed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought quite a few seed packets this Spring and so far I have 3 of the wrong varieties. They are either Burpee or Ferry Morse. Not sure what the problem is. Possible you got a wrong seed.

So far my burpee seeds have been what they claim, but you could be right.

So it seems the consensus is that it’s normal and I shouldn’t be worried about fungal (or any other plant) disease.

I’ll chop it and toss it in the compost and see if any others pop out of it.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So I guess the question is - chop it and toss it, or chop it and eat it? Lol
I’ll chop it and toss it in the compost and see if any others pop out of it.

Not saying what you should or shouldn't do because of the possibility of something crossed being toxic. But I would never go to the trouble of growing something to eat without at least tasting it before tossing it. Just my personal outlook but there are millions of gardeners every year who probably have cross pollinated stuff going on that they don't even know about and still eat it and they don't seem to be dropping dead like flies so even though the toxic possibility tripped me out at first when I heard about it, I just don't see people dropping dead from it on the news lol. That said if it is bitter and gross I wouldn't eat it, toxic or not.

Ask a Question