Why are these cucumbers getting so big?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Am I just letting them go too long? I thought maybe I was giving too much water. They look like an over soaked sponge. They don't feel like it though. I'm trying to learn everything I can. Thanks for all the help guys.

20230719_200729.jpg
20230719_205401.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
You let them go a bit too long. Once they turn yellow they are over ripe, orange they are way over ripe. But they would make good relish. The national pickling cucumbers are better picked small for making pickles. There is a couple that are still mostly green you could eat. I just don't like the flavor once a cucumber starts to turn yellow.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My mom very recently passed away but I have so many amazing memories of her. One is the relish she use to make. Cucumber and zucchini was my favorites. She would always make use of those over ripe cucumbers and it was epic! Because there are so many recipes for it online I won't post one but please don't think over ripe means compost.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've had plenty that were teardrop shaped and from either end.

Those get made into chips or relish.

Speaking of relish, I usually do that at end of season, after the frost, to use up all the not full grown pickles.

Ask a Question