Another cucumber leaf question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
A few of the older leaves on this plant started changing color while it was still in its small nursery container. Is this a sign of some problem? If so, how to fix it? Should I remove the discolored leaves?

FYI, I just moved it to a new container with potting mix with some 3-4-4 organic fertilizer added. I also watered it with some 10-10-10 water soluble fertilizer and a bit of epsom salt, but the discoloring happened before the transplant.

Thanks!

OwokXgD.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A few of the older leaves on this plant started changing color while it was still in its small nursery container. Is this a sign of some problem? If so, how to fix it? Should I remove the discolored leaves?

FYI, I just moved it to a new container with potting mix with some 3-4-4 organic fertilizer added. I also watered it with some 10-10-10 water soluble fertilizer and a bit of epsom salt, but the discoloring happened before the transplant.

Thanks!

OwokXgD.jpg
It looks like a weather related issue, either too much sun or wind while still very young. The new growth looks ok as far as I can tell. It looks as if you have 2 plants about an inch apart. Remove the weakest. Don't worry about removing the leaf. It is mostly still green and helping with photosynthesis. It will turn brown and shrivel up on its own.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks, Chuck.

Yes, there were two of them inside the nursery container. I didn't want to mess with separating them when transplating as the roots were all very tight. I was hoping to let both of them grow. Are you saying it's best to just cut one out right now?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks, Chuck.

Yes, there were two of them inside the nursery container. I didn't want to mess with separating them when transplating as the roots were all very tight. I was hoping to let both of them grow. Are you saying it's best to just cut one out right now?
Yes, snip off the weakest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Further update on this: the leaves have turned dark green, and it's been flowering, but it's not growing any new leaves. I've snipped off the flowers as the plant is still very small. However, I'm concerned with no new leaf growth. It has been unusually warm here the last week (mid 80s) - not sure if that's what caused it or if there is something else going on.

9mLdr5Kh.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Further update on this: the leaves have turned dark green, and it's been flowering, but it's not growing any new leaves. I've snipped off the flowers as the plant is still very small. However, I'm concerned with no new leaf growth. It has been unusually warm here the last week (mid 80s) - not sure if that's what caused it or if there is something else going on.

9mLdr5Kh.jpg
Cuc's like it hot. Weather is not the problem. You also have browning leaf margins which is caused by either watering too often or not watering enough. Being in a fabric container I would have to say not enough water. The leave will come out of the top center portion of the plant. It looks as if it is trying to grow leaves now. Be patient. I never remove blooms. Cucs will set fruit very early even though the plant is still small. I planted these from seed mid March and put in the ground the second week of April. I have already canned 13 quarts and 3 pints. Many of the cucs set fruit before the plant had a chance to climb. There are 7 plants total in 9 feet.
IMG_0018.JPG
IMG_0019.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You also have browning leaf margins which is caused by either watering too often or not watering enough. Being in a fabric container I would have to say not enough water.
I've been monitoring it - if anything, I think I have an over-watering problem - I don't water often, but the soil is just not draining, despite adding lots of perlite to the potting mix.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've been monitoring it - if anything, I think I have an over-watering problem - I don't water often, but the soil is just not draining, despite adding lots of perlite to the potting mix.
Wait to water until the plant is wilted in the morning and then saturate. Most of the water evaporates through the sides of the container and doesn't drain out of the bottom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yeah, even after a week, the soil is still wet, aside from the top 1" maybe. It's possibly the "moisture control" potting mix that I'm using.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yes, says it contains peat moss, not sure how much.

I thought perlite was mainly used to help with drainage and vermiculite was used to retain moisture?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, says it contains peat moss, not sure how much.

I thought perlite was mainly used to help with drainage and vermiculite was used to retain moisture?
Both vermiculite and perlite hold water along with peat.

Ask a Question