First Time Gardner - Cucumber Seedling Question!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey Everyone!
Does anyone have experience growing cucumbers from seeds indoors? We started ours on Sunday and they have TAKEN OFF! However, I want to ensure they're not getting leggy and I should move them under lights. This photo is 4 days since they were put into their humidity dome with lights. Any help is appreciated!

2nd row in from the left

Reaction score
Country
United States
EBA8937E-45E9-453C-AA67-EE72F20885D1.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are extremely leggy. See the following picture:

That is about how tall they should be with proper light. Yours need stronger light. From the shadows it looks like your light source is in front of the tray but the seedlings on the right are growing to the right which means there is a stronger light over there for some reason which still isn't strong enough. I've been experimenting using this which is cheap and cheap to run.

I would just start over if it were mine. Cucumbers, melons, squash grow real fast so you aren't out of anything if you start over. I wont start my cucurbits until about the middle of April to give you an idea.

I've got a seedling heat mat too but I have the thermostat to go with it. It does take the wimpy heat mat awhile to warm the soil up to temp but it will also eventually go way beyond that too. I wouldn't run the heat mat without a thermostat. Even though the heat mat may shave a day or two off germination time, I actually don't even use it much anymore. I sprout all my stuff (brassicas, nightshades, cucurbits, alliums) at room temp which is about 72F. Some special kinds of peppers (which I don't grow) can benefit from heat though.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank You so much for the response!

There aren’t currently any grow lights on yet, any lighting would be from the light in the room if my kids leave it on or the one window.

I’m assuming they’re getting leggy reaching towards that window and perhaps I should have put them somewhere darker?

Either way I’ll take the advice and start them over but not until April. It appears, to this complete rookie that everything else is sprouting at thr pace/size I’d expect.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I’m assuming they’re getting leggy reaching towards that window and perhaps I should have put them somewhere darker?
Put the plants in light just as soon as you see them sprout or even sooner. Do not put the tray with the humidity dome on it in the sunlight though. That will cook them.

Either way I’ll take the advice and start them over but not until April. It appears, to this complete rookie that everything else is sprouting at thr pace/size I’d expect.
Nothing wrong with practicing your skills beforehand if you have spare seeds.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey Everyone!
Does anyone have experience growing cucumbers from seeds indoors? We started ours on Sunday and they have TAKEN OFF! However, I want to ensure they're not getting leggy and I should move them under lights. This photo is 4 days since they were put into their humidity dome with lights. Any help is appreciated!

2nd row in from the left
Cucumber seedlings are known to grow quickly, and it's important to monitor them closely to ensure they don't become too leggy or spindly. Leggy seedlings occur when there isn't enough light, causing the plant to grow tall and thin in an attempt to reach more light. This can weaken the plant and make it more susceptible to disease and damage.

To prevent leggy seedlings, make sure your cucumber plants are getting enough light. If you're using artificial lights, the lights should be positioned just a few inches above the plants to provide enough light intensity. You can also use reflective materials around the plants to help maximize the amount of light they receive.

Additionally, make sure your cucumber seedlings have adequate space to grow. Crowded seedlings can compete for light, water, and nutrients, leading to leggy growth. If your seedlings are overcrowded, consider thinning them out or transplanting them to individual containers.

Finally, make sure your cucumber seedlings are getting enough water and nutrients. Keep the soil evenly moist, but avoid overwatering as this can lead to fungal diseases. Once the seedlings have developed their first true leaves, you can start fertilizing them with a balanced liquid fertilizer.

With proper care and attention, your cucumber seedlings should continue to grow strong and healthy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Nothing wrong with practicing your skills beforehand if you have spare seeds.
I don't know about you, but I find cucumber seeds are expensive, and the last lot I bought only had six in the pack. I have three growing and three for later.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't know about you, but I find cucumber seeds are expensive, and the last lot I bought only had six in the pack. I have three growing and three for later.
Over here they put the weight of the seeds on the pack so you really don't know how many you are getting because you cant remember how many milligrams of seeds were in the pack last year. I have know them to go down on the weight and up on the price. I'm trying to get away from buying as many seeds as possible or at least I'll have my own stock.

Practice with some spare tomato seeds. They can be bad about being leggy. I would definitely practice with something because if you wait until the real seeds, you may be in the same boat, and also could have a bad mold problem or damping off disease.

Can’t figure out how to edit but that should say “with heat mat” not lights.
The heat from the heating pad is probably making them grow leggier than without because the plant is growing faster.

Last edited:

Ask a Question