Crooked forest

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wow, does look like they've been managed to form into those curves by weighing down a side limb and then letting it grow upwards again.

Most of them have then had the main trunk removed to make the curved one the primary timber, you can see one that still has its main trunk attached.

Chances are it was a deliberate order from a carpenter to the woodsman that was never harvested due to the war coming along or the introduction of a new material to do whatever job they were intended for.

Most of our managed woodlands fell into disuse when plastics came along, coal replaced firewood & it became cheaper to import rainforest timber.
I think you are correct. They remind me, especially the first picture, of the ribs in a wooden boat. Look at how they are all slightly different, kind of coming to a taper. Now if we know what kind of trees they were and if they were used in boat building?????????????????????

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
As far as I know, there are many theories about it. It's very possible that those pines were deformed by people who lived there and needed special wood to build boats, furniture and sleighs.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I think you are correct. They remind me, especially the first picture, of the ribs in a wooden boat. Look at how they are all slightly different, kind of coming to a taper. Now if we know what kind of trees they were and if they were used in boat building?????????????????????

Cor, not often right :D

Scot's Pines or Spruce looking at the bark :)

Sleighs is probably the best bet @claudine :)

Ask a Question