Salutations from the Olympic Rainforest!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello everyone, my name is Atrea and I am delighted to find this forum!

I live with my small family out in the boondocks of Western Washington, where we have a micro-farm of about 2.5 acres. Because it's situated on an old floodplain, the soil is very rich, and is a nice mixture of sand and loam. Ever since we came to live here 15 years ago, we've gone crazy with the gardening! :D

Last fall we grew over 50 pumpkins! We gave some to friends and the local food bank, and are still trying to consume the rest. On the other hand, some plants, like the 'Seaside' almond, are supposed to grow well here but we have had no luck at all. And how do you dig up a parsnip that is two feet long without breaking it-- especially when disability makes that kind of digging difficult?? Anyway, thanks in advance for having me here. I'm already having fun! :)

My Garden Sm.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome aboard! Great to have you here @Atrea (y) Your garden/mini-farm sounds fantastic, I'm looking forward to hearing more about it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glad to have you on board, and your garden from the photo looks amazing. I bet it is even better and bigger too now. The lettuces look very healthy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi, Atrea! Looks like you're having a good time in the garden. :) This is a great forum. People are very, very friendly and knowledgeable. I think you'll have a great time. Glad you're here. :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you're living my dream - a micro farm is something that I would really love to have one day, and my ultimate goal is to be self sufficient with fruits and veggies...maybe even have some chickens for eggs!

I can't wait to read more posts from you about your garden!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Atrea :) & how do you dig up a parsnip that is two feet long?........I always had trouble getting the buggers to even germinate! :confused:

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the group. You look like your are having fun in your picture surrounded by your plants.

Reaction score
Hi there! Lovely picture =D Your micro farm sounds like a total success! I think you are so lucky for having so much space to work with :) I've always wondered what it'd be like to be able to ave that much space to grow stuff. Anyways, welcome to the forum!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you all so much for your warm welcome! I know I'm going to learn so much from everyone here :)

The picture I posted is pretty old, as I missed several seasons of gardening due to illness. However, I have now gotten 'back in the groove' and hopefully, with the help of this forum, I'll be able to have my best garden ever this year!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. I too am from Washington State and I absolutely love your neck of the woods. Right now I live near Seattle, but we are looking to move where we can get a little bit of land and not pay and arm and a leg for our home.

Ask a Question