Crooked forest

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Have you ever heard of crooked forest in Poland? It definitely looks interesting - and it's a mystery, no one knows for sure why these trees grow like this - there are a lot of different theories. Here is a link to the article:
http://tywkiwdbi.blogspot.com/2011/05/crooked-forest-of-gryfino-poland.html
And a picture:

Nowe_czarnowo-krzywy_las.jpeg

Reaction score
It is on my list of places to go! I live in Poland by the way. It is a one of a kind place! How did you come up on it?

Reaction score
These trees are so fascinating! Dhrynio - maybe you can take some photos and post them here if you go visiting there soon. They look kind of spooky, like visiting a ghost town yet I feel drawn to them. They are interesting enough in a photo, but I bet that you don't get the full impact of these crazy trees until you see them in person.

Reaction score
I have been looking at those trees in the photo for quite a while. Still, it baffles me how they can get into that shape. Unfortunately Poland is nearly half-a-world away so I will have to satisfied with vicarous visits.

Reaction score
I have to wonder too if maybe they are that way from wind? Is that even possible?

There is another stretch of small forest here where all the trees grow to the right, they are at such an odd angle and every single one of them is like that. It looks like it is in some kind of wind tunnel.

If I do make it that way I will certainly take pictures to share with you all! It is on the opposite side of the country though so it may be a while!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It is on my list of places to go! I live in Poland by the way. It is a one of a kind place! How did you come up on it?

Some time ago my boyfriend and I, we were looking for something interesting to see in our country and this is how I found information about this mysterious forest. I've never been there because it's too far away from me ( I live in Wrocław). But soon or later I'll definitely go to see it with my own eyes:D

Reaction score
Wow that is an interesting phenomenon. I have never come across something like that before.. I wish I could see this sometime.. but like victor says it is half way across the world for me,.,
However, I have noticed coconut trees near beaches and water bodies grow this way. It must be the direction strong wind or some light obstruction that could cause trees to grow all curvy and bent.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm not sure - if it's all because of the wind, then why some trees that grow pretty near are straight? You can see them in the picture above and also here, one of the trees is straight too (on the right):

las1.jpg

And this is a really beautiful picture:

big_27085.jpg

Reaction score
Oh wow! That is so fascinating! Danni, you are so lucky to live in a place where you have the opportunity to go see them in person. Funny thing is, if I saw a tree growing like that in my yard, I'd probably cut it down for fear it would fall down and mess up something. But, they must be sturdy to grow that tall. Beautiful!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Oh wow! That is so fascinating! Danni, you are so lucky to live in a place where you have the opportunity to go see them in person. Funny thing is, if I saw a tree growing like that in my yard, I'd probably cut it down for fear it would fall down and mess up something. But, they must be sturdy to grow that tall. Beautiful!

I live in Poland too but far away from this forest. It's wonderful, isn't it?:D These trees won't fall down easily. I've seen pictures of people who were sitting on them like these were chairs:p

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, does look like they've been managed to form into those curves by weighing down a side limb and then letting it grow upwards again.

Most of them have then had the main trunk removed to make the curved one the primary timber, you can see one that still has its main trunk attached.

Chances are it was a deliberate order from a carpenter to the woodsman that was never harvested due to the war coming along or the introduction of a new material to do whatever job they were intended for.

Most of our managed woodlands fell into disuse when plastics came along, coal replaced firewood & it became cheaper to import rainforest timber.

Reaction score
I'm not sure - if it's all because of the wind, then why some trees that grow pretty near are straight?

I've come across this picture a few times recently. Wind was my first thought. I live on the coast of Florida and have seen many curves in the trunks of trees but not to the point they are nearly bent down again. The Crooked Forest is beyond fascinating!

Reaction score
Amazing! They may be trying to get to the light, I read that trees will do ANYTHING to get to the light.

Reaction score
Those photos are beautiful but it's kind of eerie the way the trees look like they're trying to walk forward, like snakes standing up or inchworms.
Thank you for sharing these fascinating photos.

Ask a Question