Lydford forest garden and river

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The villagers at Lydford on Fosse created a communal fruit garden about 10 years ago, people can help themselves to the fruit.

It's still a lovely place to visit even before the fruit comes.

Gooseberries are forming.

Loads of flowers on the Blackcurrants. There are Apples, Pears and even a Medlar tree, which I make jelly from sometimes.

The river is right next to it.

Reaction score
Oh WOW! Lydford Forest Garden and River looks magical! I love the Communal Gardens and the River. You have the best of both worlds right there. :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I would love to see something like that here! There are some community gardens in different neighborhoods around town established by the Parkway Partners, and two of them are close to me. Someone sent an email about the one a few blocks away that was either started or redeveloped recently, and I responded asking about the other because it is around the corner from me, but the person (whom I actually know) never responded.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Tis a lovely spot Lilley, did a bit of work on the church there once.

I reset some of the Louvrés in the bell tower reveal after our stonemason had messed them up:D

There's another communal garden in Bridport Chanell, I was going to join that one but I moved back to Somerset.

I only take a few fruits, but I did see a very guilty looking hedge monkey having it away with most of the apples one year. Spoils it for everyone else when that happens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
What a gorgeous place! A communal fruit garden is such a great, friendly and sweet idea, I wish we had something like this here, in my country:)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
What a gorgeous place! A communal fruit garden is such a great, friendly and sweet idea, I wish we had something like this here, in my country:)

No time like spring to get one started Claudine:)

Ooo, that was something I was going to ask you, whats Polski for Badger?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
No time like spring to get one started Claudine:)

Ooo, that was something I was going to ask you, whats Polski for Badger?

Are you asking about about the polish name of the animal? It's borsuk. Plural: borsuki.
If I started a communal fruit garden people probably would get very suspicious - things like this aren't common here. Also, I live in a big city and I'm not sure if it's legal to plant my own trees in a park:p

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Aah, very similar to Turkish, Porsuk.

I'm amazed how different the name for Badger is across Europe.

Italian - Tasso
Slovenian - Jazbec
Spanish - Tehon
German - Dasch
French - Blaireau

And yes, I did manage to drop the word into business meetings in both Germany and Turkey :D

You'd need a group of people all interested in gardening, then find a plot of land that's not being used & seek permission from the owner. Not easy in a City I guess.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Are you asking about about the polish name of the animal? It's borsuk. Plural: borsuki.
If I started a communal fruit garden people probably would get very suspicious - things like this aren't common here. Also, I live in a big city and I'm not sure if it's legal to plant my own trees in a park:p

Pauline, community gardens are not started in existing parks. They are usually planted on empty lots or in containers on rooftops, depending on the landscape of the city in question. Quite often they are used to transform blight and provide fresh, healthy food to poor neighborhoods.

You might be surprised about the attitude of community gardens there. Here is a link to one in Lodz: http://europeandcis.undp.org/blog/2012/07/10/community-garden-in-poland-connecting-people/.

Reaction score
Tis a lovely spot Lilley, did a bit of work on the church there once.

I reset some of the Louvrés in the bell tower reveal after our stonemason had messed them up:D

There's another communal garden in Bridport Chanell, I was going to join that one but I moved back to Somerset.

I only take a few fruits, but I did see a very guilty looking hedge monkey having it away with most of the apples one year. Spoils it for everyone else when that happens.

I would love to visit your country, and will be adding that to my bucket list.

Community gardens are hard to come by in my area. There is a little bit of greed and hostility with a lot of people here, so it can be somewhat frustrating. I just started gardening a month ago (my first time) and am impatiently waiting to see food produce. If I can master the art of gardening, I plan on sharing the rewards with others, preferably soup kitchens or personal families that cannot afford many groceries.

My husband and I went through a very difficult time when he lost his job a couple years ago. We went to bed very hungry to make sure our kids had enough food. It was an eye opener to say the least. We are fortunate enough to overcome that time in our life, but I am still emotional about children and families not having enough food. Since I do not have enough money to donate, I thought sharing food would be the next best thing! :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Community gardens are hard to come by in my area... it can be somewhat frustrating. I just started gardening a month ago (my first time) and am impatiently waiting to see food produce. If I can master the art of gardening, I plan on sharing the rewards with others...

Since I do not have enough money to donate, I thought sharing food would be the next best thing! :D

Lilley, I am with you on the patience thing, lol. I don't remember it taking so long when I was a kid (and less patient!) Are there any community or even school gardens in your area? Edible schoolyard, some urban farms (usually attached to markets) and most community gardens are always looking for volunteers. It's a good way to learn about gardening and to give back to your community.

You don't have to have money to donate to help people. You can volunteer at the food bank, or somewhere else. Also, it's easier than you think to donate - a can of this, a bag of beans or rice, these things can go a long way and they cost less than $1. You could also organize food drives to collect items and get others to help supplement what you are able to do. Are you a church person?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Zigs - I had no idea the word is so similar in Polish and Turkish:p But it's very possible that we pronounce it in a different way.
I have a friend who 'collects' the word "bat" in different languages:)
ChanellG - thank you for the link, I find it very surprising. I haven't been to Łódź yet and I had no idea they have a community garden there:)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Nice one Claudine:D It is odd as you've got 4 countries between you and Turkey, The last one being Bulgaria, and they call Badgers Borz (Not sure about the spelling, I asked one of the care workers by showing her a picture)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Nice one Claudine:D It is odd as you've got 4 countries between you and Turkey, The last one being Bulgaria, and they call Badgers Borz (Not sure about the spelling, I asked one of the care workers by showing her a picture)

I have a friend who 'collects' the word "bat" in different languages:)
ChanellG - thank you for the link, I find it very surprising. I haven't been to Łódź yet and I had no idea they have a community garden there:)

That's funny; the only words I've looked at in a variety of languages are "love" and "thank you."

Claudine, I don't know how close Łódź is to you, but I did see a few other links; I think this one talks about Warsaw:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/03/us-poland-allotments-idUSBRE87205D20120803

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That's funny; the only words I've looked at in a variety of languages are "love" and "thank you."

Je t'aime le Blaireau merci.

See, now you can combine those words with Badger:D

Ask a Question