Creative ways to decorate your garden

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello folks, I am writing here to hear from you any new and unique ways to make your garden look better. One of the examples is that very recently I wanted a new garden fence, but after driving several days from shop to shop, it looked like nothing is going to fit. As i was about to lose hope to find something that I imagined to look good, i noticed that there are alternatives to simply buying the fence from the garden. I started to look for it on the internet, and went to the website of colibrisodm. I found out, that they make 3D printed parts from metal, after what i thought that I could make any custom garden fence myself. To my surprise, they have the technology on their website, which helps you to make drawings even if you never did that. That was really helpful, as I was never using technologies like that. I got the price instantly and as it was similar to the shop ones, I ordered the fence which was delivered within Europe in one week. That's my story of alternative ways to make your garden look better, but after this experience I want to learn something more, which I may not know already. What tricks did you found out? Any other ideas on how to make unique decorations for your garden?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and welcome.

A lot depends on what you like.

Here in the UK, gardens tend to be a lot smaller, than in the USA. We live in a small semi with a very small front garden. 600 sq ft.
Our back garden is only 2000 sq ft, another 450 sq ft is taken up by our garage, shed and summerhouse. A lot of suburban gardens are even smaller. Iy's less than 80ft in length, to disguise the size I created features to distract the eye from the length.

Most perimeter fences here are post and panel. The majority will be concrete posts, with 1ft X 6ft concrete base panels and a 5ft X 6ft wooden panels above it.

These panels can be replaced. As I did with this side in April. I installed the original fence myself.

P1000037.JPG

What we tend to do with our fences is try to hide them!

P1000281.JPG

P1000173.JPG

P1000175.JPG

P1000098.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for that.
When we bought this house in 1972, there was a wisteria on the side of the garage, planted by the first owner when the house was built in 1965. But he said it had never flowered. I think he didn't know how to prune it. I built a pergola on the side of the garage with a balustrade as my wife was concerned that she might otherwise fall into the 5ft deep koi pool I built.

This is it in the late 80s

scan.jpg

It got very "woody" and looked rather ugly.

Wisteria pond.JPG

It got so heavy that I had to make a stronger pergola to support it.

P1010147.JPG

P1010146.JPG

But a few years ago it started dying off. We were left with one huge branch that grows over the pergola on the back of the house and a couple of bits at each end of the narrow bed by the side of the garage. So about five years ago I bought the white one in the middle.

We did have a white one on the pergola over the French windows, over thirty years ago, but that died too after about fifteen years.

Wisteria 2.JPG

What you see now is the one that grows from the corner of the garage and crosses with another growing up the right-hand pergola post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So to sum up Sean, 'To make a unique decoration for your garden find a striking plant and grow it well'. Great idea, it will be unique because plants always are, everyone different. :)

Ask a Question