Creative uses of basil!

Reaction score
I know many of you might have basil in your garden...i am just curious to know other than making tea with it what do you use it to do. I use it for making desserts, salads and to infuse oils; what about you?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Lemon basil ice cream sounds like a really interesting dessert. I'm sure it's very refreshing and perfect for summer:)
I often add basil to pasta sauces.

Reaction score
I use the basil to make pesto. I also love to have it with tomatoes over pasta. Mmm, delicious!

Rubydust i don't know how could i forgot about pesto as this was my grandmothers all time favorite; it was always so tasty.

Reaction score
I pinned a recipe on Pinterest for lemon basil ice cream. I haven't tried it yet but it looks good and it's a pretty color.
Can you please share the recipe for the ice cream? This sounds so refreshing on a hot summer day.

Reaction score
As basil is one of my favorite culinary herbs and I also grow many different varieties of basil - I tend to use it in a variety of different ways and apart from using it in both savory and sweet dishes - I use it for making pesto, flavoring olive oils and vinegars and of course its generally added to many of my smoothies and fruit sorbets

I also use it to make a really simple light and refreshing summer drink - for which I am including the recipe should anyone wish to try it

Ingredients

1 to 1and 1/2 cups water
1 cup sugar or honey
1 to 1and 1/2 cup basil leaves
1 to 1 and 1/2 cup mint leaves
1/2 cup fresh lime juice - although lime has the best flavor - lemon works well too if you don't have any lime juice

How to do it

On a low heat simmer the water and the sugar until dissolved
allow to cool slightly - then add the basil and mint and allow to steep for around 1-2 hours depending on how strong a flavor you want
after which strain - add the lime juice to the syrup and refrigerate

Once chilled pour some of the syrup over ice cubes in a long tall glass and top up with sparkling mineral water or if you prefer soda water.

Once made the syrup will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days and can be varied in many different ways - but have to say that this syrup works especially well when used in both fruit and alcohol based cocktails :D

Reaction score
I have several types of basil in my garden. I use basil for many purposes. Basil adds bold flavor to salads, sauces, pastas, and desserts. Sometimes, I would make an invigorating beauty bath by adding a strong infusion of fresh sweet basil. I really adore the strong aroma of fresh basil in my garden, especially when its picked.
clear.png

Reaction score
I use the basil to make pesto. I also love to have it with tomatoes over pasta. Mmm, delicious!
I make pesto all the time with freshly picked basil. Normally, I will put the rest of it in a sealed jar and put it in the freezer, it would last for awhile. I love adding pesto over my pasta also, it's just that remarkable flavor. Just tossing that hot cooked pasta with this favorable sauce, the heat brings out the fabulous flavors of the garlic, basil and cheese. Yummy!!!

Reaction score
As basil is one of my favorite culinary herbs and I also grow many different varieties of basil - I tend to use it in a variety of different ways and apart from using it in both savory and sweet dishes - I use it for making pesto, flavoring olive oils and vinegars and of course its generally added to many of my smoothies and fruit sorbets

I also use it to make a really simple light and refreshing summer drink - for which I am including the recipe should anyone wish to try it

Ingredients

1 to 1and 1/2 cups water
1 cup sugar or honey
1 to 1and 1/2 cup basil leaves
1 to 1 and 1/2 cup mint leaves
1/2 cup fresh lime juice - although lime has the best flavor - lemon works well too if you don't have any lime juice

How to do it

On a low heat simmer the water and the sugar until dissolved
allow to cool slightly - then add the basil and mint and allow to steep for around 1-2 hours depending on how strong a flavor you want
after which strain - add the lime juice to the syrup and refrigerate

Once chilled pour some of the syrup over ice cubes in a long tall glass and top up with sparkling mineral water or if you prefer soda water.

Once made the syrup will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days and can be varied in many different ways - but have to say that this syrup works especially well when used in both fruit and alcohol based cocktails :D

This drink sounds just right for these hot summer days especially if served very chilled ; gonna give it a try today and see if it is to my children liking.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Gata Montes, it sounds like a perfect drink for summer!:) I'll make it this weekend. I think I saw lime juice at a store in my area. I'm so glad I have a lot of basil and mint leaves:D

Reaction score
This drink sounds just right for these hot summer days especially if served very chilled ; gonna give it a try today and see if it is to my children liking.

Oh it is and one that I find wonderfully refreshing during our long hot summers - so I hope that you will too - although I realize that I forgot to mention - that the flavor can very easily be changed - as it very much depends on which varieties of basil or mint are used and also if you use honey instead of sugar - by the type of honey that you use to sweeten it - either way I hope you will let us know whether or not you like it :)

Ask a Question