Creative household containers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So i just started this year and so far i have some pretty succesful plants going I have alao started a hydropnic system using old fish tank water for progegation. In the last few months i have crammed plenty of info into my head because i realy enjoy the fruits and labor of trial and error. I have a half dozen plants needing homes pretty quick and i kind of enjoy recycling containers that would otherwise end up in the trash.

What types of things have you veterans used over the years that you thought was a cool idea? Right now i have some baby formula containers and some old icing buckets from work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have quite the collection of traditional but interesting containers so no creative repurposing here. However someone down my road has vegetables planted in an old bathtub, and they put annuals in a toilet - both in the bowl and the tank. Now l like the bathtub idea but to me the toilet planter is on the tacky side of amusing! But l guess they thought it was cool.

Other things I've seen (and in the past have used myself): old boots or shoes, tea kettles, tires, cinder blocks, collanders. I have a friend who picks up old furniture from people's trash, fixes it up and sells it. For a couple of years she had a vintage secretary desk, she pulled the drawers out, filled them with soil and planted annuals in them. Was very cute and shabby chic! When using old painted items like that you'd have to be wary of lead leaching into the soil though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I save all my plastic butter tubs for starting cuttings in or I use them to store food in, there a great place to hide cookies in because no one thinks to look for cookies in a butter container :LOL:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not for growing in, but growing under. I have a collection of large plastic bottles that once held water and now have the bottom cut off. When I first planting out seedlings I put one over the top, twist into the ground slightly, then put a cane diagonally through the neck and into the ground to hold it firmly in place top and bottom. A nice bit of protection while they get established.

Ask a Question