Creative and recycled gardening containers

Reaction score
bootcontainer.jpg

container-roundup.jpg

Here are some funky ones:)

Reaction score
Oh! I love this thread! I'm always looking for stuff at thrift stores, rummage sales and stuff people throw out to put garden plants in. I have to admit not being much more creative than using old tin pails or buckets. I love the soda bottle idea. I think I'm going to have my family throw those in a bucket in the garage this winter so I have a bunch for spring. Something common I see around here is using the middle of an old tree trunk after a tree has been cut down, to plant flowers in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Maddie, I've seen that image with the rain boots before. I kind of like the tire, but I can't figure out what that is in image #3. I like the print, I guess it's some kind of fabric?

Reaction score
This post here has now got me wanting to go to the Dollar Tree and get some shoe hangers. I can use them to grow herbs in. Dollar tree has a ton if things you can grow flowers in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This post here has now got me wanting to go to the Dollar Tree and get some shoe hangers. I can use them to grow herbs in. Dollar tree has a ton if things you can grow flowers in.

I'd been on the lookout for one of those hanging shoe organizers, the kind that's like a wall of pockets, but I wanted a canvas one, not a plastic one. I had originally wanted to grow herbs in one, but I've discovered they need more root space. If I found one now I might use it for seasonal flowers or bulbs.

Reaction score
Wow, this is an inspirational thread, I love it:D . I've found some interesting pictures and I want to share:

How about drawers?

recycled-vertical-garden.jpg

Bottles might look interesting too:

verticalgarden1.jpg
Very clever ideas, love the bottles on the wall! Vertical gardening at its finest, a wonderful way to make use of all of the space available.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I also like the idea of using recycled items as planters to help keep items out of the landfill. We used the old bbq grill as a planter one year, I just put lots of potted plants in the grill to make an interesting display.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Here is a guide on how to make a flower pot from an old plastic bottle and a CD:

garden-pots.jpg

To be honest, in my opinion these flower pots are really ugly:confused: They'd look much better if they were transparent.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I like the recycled drawer planter boxes as you can paint them and really add some character to your garden. The more creative you can make your gardens the more fun they are.

Reaction score
Love the picture with all of the bottles, very clever and no doubt a lot of watering. I've seen tires, toilets, bath tubs and canoes filled with flowers.

Reaction score
Here is a guide on how to make a flower pot from an old plastic bottle and a CD:

garden-pots.jpg

To be honest, in my opinion these flower pots are really ugly:confused: They'd look much better if they were transparent.
I really like the idea of them but I agree that they should be clear. Definitely need to try making these, very clever idea.

Reaction score
There are lot of things can be used as a planter. You can use Bed frame, Dresser drawers, wooden chair, toy box, coconut shell, soda bottle, coffee bag and can, cooler, wheelbarrow and mailbox.

I got some pics from a website greenpolis.

Coconut shell planter
4749828350_7e55e527aa.jpg

Furniture Planter

Loveseat_Flowerpot.jpg

Wheelbarrow

3457382670_a81f5694fc.jpg
I like the coconut shell planter. It actually looks cute and tropical and we have tons of those coconuts in Florida.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have actually done the shoe organizer for my herbs before. We hung it outside on the back of our house. It worked out so awesome. And all the herbs had their own little hole to grow in. I even had an organizer that had labels on it, so I was able to label each thing we were growing. It really made it look organized even tho it was for shoes! I also like the 2 liter pop bottle idea. This would be a great idea for the school systems here to start a small garden for the younger kids that doesn't take up a lot of room.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I had seen in one forum a wooden wagon wheel that was used as pocket garden for herbs. It is a sight to behold with the kaleidoscope of flowers. With containers, my husband used to plant the rootcrop yam in an empty sack that he half filled with soil. It was a good decoration for the front garden. And after 8 months, he would harvest the yam and cook it as a dessert.

Ask a Question