Creative and recycled gardening containers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
There are lot of things can be used as a planter. You can use Bed frame, Dresser drawers, wooden chair, toy box, coconut shell, soda bottle, coffee bag and can, cooler, wheelbarrow and mailbox.

I got some pics from a website greenpolis.

Coconut shell planter
4749828350_7e55e527aa.jpg

I LOVE this! Can't get much more eco-friendly than this! My only concern would be how long the shell could hold up to moisture. What a great idea! Of course, most of us don't have coconuts growing in the back yard though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
We use a lot of coconut shells as planters. Orchids love them.

Do they hold up well Maddie? I would be concerned about the coconut shell rotting and splitting, especially outdoors, which is where I would want to use them. Can you use them for all types of plants?

Reaction score
Do they hold up well Maddie? I would be concerned about the coconut shell rotting and splitting, especially outdoors, which is where I would want to use them. Can you use them for all types of plants?
The hard shell does hold up quite well. In fact this is the way orchids are grown here most of the time. The coconut shell helps the root to remain moist and keeps them from drying out in the open. Rotting may happen if you over water or do not re-pot/re-coconut the plant for a long time. You may have to do this once a year at least. The orchid mixture is barks and activated coal.
I am not so sure if you could do this with other plants where you may have to use soil, compost or potting material.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
The hard shell does hold up quite well.
...You may have to do this once a year at least. The orchid mixture is barks and activated coal.
I am not so sure if you could do this with other plants where you may have to use soil, compost or potting material.

Hmm, this may not work for me then. I am looking for eco-friendly alternatives to plastic containers for outdoor growing. (Well, indoor too, but I have more outdoor space.) Also, it sometimes rains quite a lot here, so that might also contribute to rotting the shells. Oh, well.

Reaction score
Have you seen this pic before? Old computers turned into flower pots... Doesn't look so bad at all.
I've also seen a toilet bowl pot filled with flowers...
Keep recycling :D

a.aaa-Flower-pots-made-from-old-co.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Well, that's an interesting way to go green. It's not very attractive though. I wonder how that one in back has a picture on its screen. There's no way it still functions.

Reaction score
Here's something interesting I just found:
Green_Wall.jpg

It's called Green Wall. And it's supplied by Baihnath Plastic Products PVT LTD. It's a self-supporting green wall modular planting system. Basically, it's a vertical garden. This would be great if you wanted to plant a lot of leaves, but don't have enough room to do so. You can just plant up instead of across. Anyway, here's the link: nimicoco.com

Reaction score
Wow interesting stuff. I agree with Chanell, The computer planting is innovative but not very attractive. The green walls are pretty interesting.. the look like some sort of game boards. You need ground space to put even those.. I need some hanging garden technology..lol :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
You've found so many interesting pictures, I feel very inspired:D Especially the green wall is very interesting.
These containers look great too:
vegetable-garden-ideas-2.JPG

magdacontainercans.jpg

Reaction score
@ Chanell, Innovative and pretty too! I can try a few other things now I guess.I was at the nursery yesterday and bought myself a miniature rose plant..

@ claudine thanks to you.. I hope it will flourish like my other plants do. This little thing has quite a few little buds on it.. and soon I will have roses on my window sill.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Have any of you seen this? I am thinking of doing something similar in a canvas bag.

Lettuce-bag-done-400.jpg

I am also considering this idea for growing potatoes in a laundry basket.

about-ready-to-harvest.jpg

Reaction score
Where I used to live, coconut trees are found everywhere and coconut milk is part of the daily diet, so there are plenty of coconut shells available for free. From what I have observed the hard shells do last quite a while. I have seen some half-buried in the ground that didn't rot away even after a few years of rain and shine. If you want to get creative, you can do something like this:
coconut-shell-pot.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Coconut shells seem like the way to go, if only they were plentiful here I could have a lot of fun with them. For now I will have to stick to recycling cans and other items. I plan to give canvas bags a try, though I have many of those reusable shopping bags like the one above.

Ask a Question