Crape Myrtle

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Planted this 2 years ago and it’s about 7 foot. Question when trimming young crape myrtle. Do you leave the leaves/flowers going all the way up or remove near split? Some of the branches are drooping cause they weight so I trimmed but is there a general rule as to how many flowers to take off?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 93
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 84

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Deadheading is very effective on crape myrtle....if you want more and deeper blooms.

Pruning is pretty much a personal preference on how you want the plant shaped...as a tree or as multi-branched bush or something in between.

My approach is to take out suckers coming up from the base and all side branches growing from the main trunks up to a height of at least 4 feet and all higher branches growing inward towards the center of the tree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Our Crapes will grow agressively where they are cut. We let them go uncut for fast shade down the driveway. They can get really big. I do not believe 40-50 feet is an exaggeration. Where I trim they branch. I would suggest settling on a suitable size and shape and work to keep them in that form. The root is well established now so even severe cutting will bush back out.

Ask a Question