Country Flags

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Adding a zone field is the next thing on my list :). I'm just trying to make it nice and easy by clicking on a map and them it will add the right number to your profile - if that fails, people can use that link and fill it in manually :D.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm testing out the hardiness zone feature... if you visit your user profile page then you can enter it manually, or check out this page for more instructions:

https://www.gardening-forums.com/pages/hardiness-zone/

Please let me know what you think, if it's not much use then I can easily remove it - I want to make sure that I only add what is necessary so we don't need to keep asking for lots of user info :).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I like it Ian! Hopefully more people will now enter what I consider this crucial info in order to answer many of their questions.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've coded in a notice that should appear for members that haven't yet entered their hardiness zone, let's see how it goes :D.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks for adding this feature. It's so nice to know where the person is, it's more like talking to a friend as opposed to talking to the ether world. I'd also like to second the opinion that in the US, a letter abbreviation is probably much more helpful than the flag - state flags are not something we really learn much about, other than our own state. But we did have to memorize all the abbreviations. Along with the capitols, but that information's long gone!!

Thanks again, for making this a better forum and a place where we can really get to know each other - for giving us a gardening "family"!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'd also like to second the opinion that in the US, a letter abbreviation is probably much more helpful than the flag - state flags are not something we really learn much about, other than our own state. But we did have to memorize all the abbreviations. Along with the capitols, but that information's long gone!!

The state letters are next on the "to-do" list :D.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Ian,

I'm a new member and although I have the United Kingdom flag the 'Union Jack' in my avatar box this is not the flag for my island as it's not part of the UK. I don't suppose there's any chance of displaying the island flag please? :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Sheal, the plugin we're using at the moment uses ISO codes to do the country listing stuff, so as the IoM is independent of the UK it should be there - I'll drop you a message about this in just a moment :).

Ask a Question