Persimmon in tropical country

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I understand that persimmon grows in cold places and I have never heard of persimmons growing here. But my husband was given some persimmon seeds last year with a request to plant it - that friend thinks my husband has a green thumb that anything he plants would grow. And now the persimmon is already a seedling with 4 leaves and a height of 3 inches. Planted in a plastic pot, it is placed under a shade to protect it from direct sunlight.

What is your take on this? Will it grow? Will it bear fruits?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Brazil
I read it is very adaptable. They grow it commercially here.

What is your take on this? Will it grow? Will it bear fruits?
Depends on variety, I think.

If it grows and bear any fruit, it may take years before it happens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I recently visited California, which has a mild winter temperature and it is regularly in the 50. I have seen people who grew persimmons in their yard and they seem very very successful. Some event sold the fruits right out of their yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I recently visited California, which has a mild winter temperature and it is regularly in the 50. I have seen people who grew persimmons in their yard and they seem very very successful. Some event sold the fruits right out of their yard.

When my father-in-law was here on vacation, he was telling about a Korean neighbor in Orange county, California. The persimmon was always fruiting heavily and my father-in-law would help himself with the fruits. The Korean said that they have persimmons in Korea because of almost the same climate in California.

I am just excited because the persimmon is now a seedling. We are praying that it grows and even with no fruit, it is already a novelty of sorts.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Corzhens I think where you are, your persimmons will do very well, and I wish you good luck with them!

There is one guy in my sister's neighborhood that collected his persimmons and put it out by his gate with a sign saying 4 for $1.00, and my sister got her persimmons from him when it is in season. He told my sister that he is collecting the money to send to the Philippines.

Ask a Question