What's the "typical" plant/tree that symbolises your country?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I think one of the coolest things about this forum is that we have members from everywhere - getting to learn more about what grows well in different regions of the world fascinates me!

In saying that, I wonder what is a plant or flower that people would say is the symbol of their country - something that is perhaps a national flower/tree, or something that's recognised as growing really well locally.

I think here in Japan, it would absolutely have to be cherry blossoms and bonsai trees. Those to me are just quintessentially Japanese and I think globally people identify with them as part of the culture here.

What about your country?

Reaction score
Well, the country where I am living is often represented with a prickly pear cactus ;) The country where I am going to settle for good is represented by tulips :p Whole fields filled with beautiful tulips :)

I love them both, I love the prickly pear cactus because you can make a super healthy drink with it, and I will actually miss that so much (can't find those in the Netherlands). As for the tulips... they are so pretty ;D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Great English Oak I'm sure Would Have to be.........Some of the best plans have been made round an oak table........ its been used to build our great ships and cathedral roofs. Castles for kings( ER that may be Cathedral Oaks). Caskets for beer, Cider & Whisky:) & when they leak we uses them as big ,Big Plant pots lol :) & all that from a little acorn ............But the welsh, Cornish and scots can't have e'm ;) .....I'm only talking for the English!;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Our national tree is the Narra tree which is a forest tree. It is chosen as the symbol of our country because it is a hard wood and the lumber is mostly used in making good (expensive) furnitures. However, it is not that popular and some children in the city do not know that tree. The mango tree is the most popular tree here that I think would be better as the symbol of our country.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Well, the country where I am living is often represented with a prickly pear cactus ;) The country where I am going to settle for good is represented by tulips :p Whole fields filled with beautiful tulips :)

I love them both, I love the prickly pear cactus because you can make a super healthy drink with it, and I will actually miss that so much (can't find those in the Netherlands). As for the tulips... they are so pretty ;D

Tulips are one of my absolute favorites - in fact, in springtime they are quite popular here! Fairly close to where I live, there's a big big field of them, it's one of the things I always love to see at that time of year!

I'll take pictures to show you when I go this year (it's usually around April time!) :)

And I never knew you could make a drink from the prickly pear cactus - I guess you learn something new every day! ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Great English Oak I'm sure Would Have to be.........Some of the best plans have been made round an oak table........ its been used to build our great ships and cathedral roofs. Castles for kings( ER that may be Cathedral Oaks). Caskets for beer, Cider & Whisky:) & when they leak we uses them as big ,Big Plant pots lol :) & all that from a little acorn ............But the welsh, Cornish and scots can't have e'm ;) .....I'm only talking for the English!;)

So much history, all in a type of tree - I love it!

Ships, cathedrals, and castles are things that I associate with England too, so I think you're spot on with your choice of the Great English Oak as the representative tree! My history loving husband is set on traveling there one day...and I've had friends that lived in Cambridge for a couple of years and they still miss it (they're back living in the US now, but always say that Cambridge felt like home to them!)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Tough to say. Various Oaks and Maples are up there at the top of the list.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
So much history, all in a type of tree - I love it!

Ships, cathedrals, and castles are things that I associate with England too, so I think you're spot on with your choice of the Great English Oak as the representative tree! My history loving husband is set on traveling there one day...and I've had friends that lived in Cambridge for a couple of years and they still miss it (they're back living in the US now, but always say that Cambridge felt like home to them!)

I spend 4 nights in Cambridge at the end of July Every year & your pretty much guaranteed to find me under an Great English Oak, Camping at the Cambridge Folk Festival. Same tree every year :) ....Cambridge Is a vary interesting place. loads to do Old streets & markets ,Pubs Restaurants...I could go on and on about how I like Cambridge so I can understand your friends loving it so much. I hope you and your husband get that chance to visit there one day.....:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In my area, I think it has to be Maple trees! When autumn comes, the maple seeds are everywhere!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Barbados
I would have to say it is the breadfruit tree. This tree is grown in almost every part of the island. Breadfruit can be cooked in many different ways. It is also easy to cook and makes a quick meal. The tree grows rather big and if you have one in your backyard, you can get a bountiful crop from it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a, 5b
Country
United States
The part of the United States I live in is Colorado. I think our Tree has to be the ASPEN tree which grows best in the high altitude of Colorado. In the Fall their beautiful Golden shimmering leaves are definitely a sight to behold!!! Against our beautiful Evergreen Trees and crystal deep blue skies the site is absolutely breath taking. Our flower has to be the Columbine. Another plant that grows readily in our high altitudes & is a wildflower found all over our mountains.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
India
few trees are as revered in my country as the mighty Banyan. Its our national tree.......
It is a symbol of continuity and prosperity and eternal life.... most holy sites have atleast one of these.... cutting them brings terrible luck and great misfortune.
Every village has one of these and under its shade, the council of elders (known as panchayat) meets/used to meet to take decisions.....
Some believe this tree is the adobe of the spirits of the deceased who could not find closure in their life.
The plant that symbolises my country would be the lotus....... we have it everywhere... even in the dirtiest of ponds, it has learned to survive and thrive..... it is also our national flower

Ask a Question