Country Flags

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It has been suggested many times that we encourage users to tell us where they are from when they sign up - it wasn't possible until recently, so now I've added a drop-down box so that members can select their country. You can see the flag next to my name.

Of course, if you're somewhere huge like the USA you may want to refine this a little by mentioning your state in your location.

It's show to all new members signing up, but if you'd like to add it manually, visit this page and choose your country from the list :)

https://www.gardening-forums.com/account/personal-details

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It has been suggested many times that we encourage users to tell us where they are from when they sign up - it wasn't possible until recently, so now I've added a drop-down box so that members can select their country. You can see the flag next to my name.

Of course, if you're somewhere huge like the USA you may want to refine this a little by mentioning your state in your location.

It's show to all new members signing up, but if you'd like to add it manually, visit this page and choose your country from the list :)

https://www.gardening-forums.com/account/personal-details
I hope folks will use this feature. Knowing someones location will be a tremendous help in answering questions

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
If it fails to encourage more users to add their location, I'll see what else I can do to improve it. Let's give it a month and see what happens.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
The flag feature is very helpful, but there are some flags I just don't recognize. Is there some way you could have a flag identification here so we would know what country of the less familiar flags represented?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The flag feature is very helpful, but there are some flags I just don't recognize. Is there some way you could have a flag identification here so we would know what country of the less familiar flags represented?
Just put your mouse arrow on the flag. I don't know most of them either but it tells you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Aha! I never thought of that, Chuck. Thank you from a very unimaginative computer user.
It took me awhile to figure it out too. But still I wish people would specify at least which state they are in if from the US. But it is better than it was

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If I added the state flags from here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flags_of_the_U.S._states) are they likely to be recognised? As someone from outside the US I don't know how common they are.

I could always just add the two letter state abbreviations after the USA country flag instead, that may help :).
I think the letter abbreviations would be much better. I know about 4 other state flags and I probably know more than most

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Cheers Chuck, I'll go for the abbreviations then :).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Are the flags really helping? I might be just speaking for myself, but I don't know all the country flags anymore. I learnt them in school, but that was 30 years ago LOL! I see lots of members with their flags but I still have no idea of where they're from :confused:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's working for me, I can now recognise the Philipenes flag, even if I can't spell it :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Are the flags really helping? I might be just speaking for myself, but I don't know all the country flags anymore. I learnt them in school, but that was 30 years ago LOL! I see lots of members with their flags but I still have no idea of where they're from :confused:

I think it's helping a bit, better than not having them anyway. If you're not sure on one of the flags, hover your mouse over it and the name will pop up :D.

I still need to figure out a way to add states/abbreviations - it's on my to-do list. I'll try and get this added in the next few days, as knowing the zones will be a real help!

Ask a Question