Coronavirus, it is all over the news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In England ... people are losing their jobs,
Could you, please, provide evidence of this? The last I heard was that supermarkets are recruiting :unsure::unsure::unsure:

I do believe there is much in the media, which is whipping up its own storm to fuel panic buying. I also feel that, in the UK, possibly elsewhere too, there are fractions who are blase (sorry, don't know how to accent the "e" in blase on these forums) about this whole business.

Two years ago (to this day) the BBC ran an experiment/research on world pandemics - it does make for interesting viewing (most especially if you are self isolating and have time on your hands to watch the hour long programme ) which, whilst not Corvid-19 specific, makes worthwhile viewing in term of the threat and spread of pandemics, in our modern world, and offers an insight into the why's and wherefores of current (UK) Government recommendations/interventions vs those of other nations. This research does present a substantial research base and not one to be taken lightly!

I do not believe it it beneficial to compare one nations interventions with another's simply because we cannot know what, or which, research basis they are basing their decisions upon. To deride one against another is neither productive nor helpful. Nor is misinformation: one source may state jobs are being lost; another states jobs are being created! Who "really" knows? For sure?

I am labelled a "key worker"; that means I present for work, on a daily basis, and am on the front line of every Tom, Dick and Harry who may, or may not, heed government advice (including hand washing, at the bare minimum) - thereby putting myself in line for contracting whatever may come my way.

The very best, as individuals, we can do is follow the overall advice: wash hands frequently; shop wisely; care for our fellow beings in our local community and be cautious in our daily doings.

Watch the link I've posted: there are compelling reasons why the over '70's and vulnerable others are being asked to self-isolate. Those who pooh-pooh the concept are the greatest threat to the spread of this particular strain of virus and are the ones who, without fully realising the consequences, will be the ones who present the worst case scenario.

On a more positive note: today marks Mothering Sunday in the UK and for all Mother's, many blessings! Even if, as per Government guidelines, you have not been visited, know still that you are adored and appreciated. xxx

Reaction score
Country
Spain
What a very odd question ...
I´m sorry to disappoint you Arden Sage, but apart from the news from the person looking after my home in England, the news on the various outlets I monitor, and plain common sense -- I´m unable to comply with your request.
Should you however be able to provide evidence that people in England are NOT losing their jobs I would be very pleased to be proved in error.
I would also be very surprised.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What a very odd question ...
I´m sorry to disappoint you Arden Sage, but apart from the news from the person looking after my home in England, the news on the various outlets I monitor, and plain common sense -- I´m unable to comply with your request.
Should you however be able to provide evidence that people in England are NOT losing their jobs I would be very pleased to be proved in error.
I would also be very surprised.
Here in the US people are not, so far, "losing" their jobs. They still have their jobs but are not working and not being paid in many instances. It is sort of a temporary lay off. I am quite sure that if this pandemic doesn't slow down dramatically many jobs and businesses will be lost.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
The product availability in big stores is unlikely to improve for a while, despite all the promises.

The problem is that the accountants have been ruinning the stores for a few decades. Stores are designed for the maximum amount of selling space and the minimum amount of storage space. There's no big warehouses behind the sales floor. Just enough room for the fridges and freezers and for as many roll on roll off stock units as get delivered daily. For the most part, the sales floor fixtures only hold enough stock for a little more than a days anticipated sales of volume lines. So unless they relay the stores to allow for more stock, at the moment there will always be empty shelves.

Back in "my day," when we had fewer deliveries, a lot of stock was coming direct from the manufacturer rather than all from a central distribution warehouse as it will mostly be now. In a situation like this, I would have ordered sufficient stock, (to meet a controlled demand), direct from the manufacturer, a couple of weeks ago.

I went into Tesco and Sainsbury's today they had no paper goods as usual. They caused the problem, by not restricting sales early enough, too busy chasing sales increases.

I went into Aldi about 11.00am and they had their usual pallet displays of both toilet rolls and kitchen rolls, though you could only have one of each.

The long term affects on the high street will be dramatic, with many retail businesses going to the wall. These will be those that are altready stuggling to get by given the increase in pn-line sales.

Still. it's not all bad news. My golf club has closed the clubhouse, the toilets and the locker room. But the course and the pro shop is staying open. A friend with whom I'll be playing on Wednesday, went down this morning , just to see what was happening (he doesn't get the club e-mails, so was unware of the situation) and said the car park was nearly full and the course was very busy with mostly visitors. He thinks it's the school teachers who are off work. Good news for the club and the professional who gets a percentage of the green fees.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Just printed out a letter from my company to have with me to justify my movements in the community. Heard another friend in the human services field /another company, got the same type letter. interesting. /coincidence or something else. Stay safe all.

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Sounds like preparation for a general lock down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Boris has just announced that all shops except food shops will be closed, so will all places of entertainment.
But he did say I can go and play golf with my mate on Wednesday.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
All camping and caravaning club sites (including ours) have been shut down here.

336 souls dead so far. 6,650 confirmed cases.

Have cancelled golf appointment with Sean on Wednesday :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
All camping and caravaning club sites (including ours) have been shut down here.

336 souls dead so far. 6,650 confirmed cases.

Have cancelled golf appointment with Sean on Wednesday :eek:

There was no need to cancel the golf. As we would have just been a two ball, we would have been quite at liberty to play. Fortunately, I can always find another partner.

Last edited:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I had to cancel, can't play :)

DSCI0200.JPG

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Time to think what you can do for others Sean, it´s not all about you and your game of golf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question