Corn harvest

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Pardon me for bragging but I admit that I want to brag about our corn harvest. You see in the picture, it's a basket of corn. But I have to confess that the corn ears are small and some cobs are not full of kernels. The neighbor said that it was affected by the weather because when the corn produced flowers, it started to rain which probably ruined the pollination thing hence it resulted in a not so good production.
IMG_2998 corn kaing.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The corn doesn't look too bad Corhenz,at least it looks edible. I think that corn likes nitrogen, and if you don't have that in your soil or don't add it, it is going to result in small corn if you get any at all. I know when ever I have tried to grow corn it ended up small and unedible...because I didn't follow those basic steps. I didn't know you could grow corn in the Philipines to be honest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I think it's a great harvest. Looking at this picture makes me hungry;) When I was a kid, I liked eating corn raw. Now, I prefer it cooked. I'm addicted to cooked corn with garlic butter.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Looks good to me :)

Try growing it with beans next time, they'll fix nitrogen at their roots and help feed it :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Take pictures as you strip the husks. It is impossible to determine quality with husks in place.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
This is a nice picture that connects with many gardeners. Corn is also grown in our area and it requires a hot and wet climate. Another reason for the small size could be acidic soils which bind the nutrients making them unavailable for plant use. Too bad that the rain interfered with pollinators in your own case. Are birds a menace in your area?

Ask a Question