Corn Harvest today.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I picked 93 ears of corn this morning, I picked 31 ears 2 days ago = 124 ears total so far. There should be 40 more ears in the garden probably hiding among the twisted storm damage corn stalk pile. I was shucking the corn outside, wife kept coming to get corn to blanch in the kitchen. When I finished I started slicing kernels off the cob and wife filled 24 zip lock bags. Black corn bugs were bad this year we have more than enough corn, I cut 1" to 3" from several ears to remove the bad. Our goal was 20 bags, including 6 bags yesterday, 24 + 6 = 30 bags of corn in the freezer.
100_5288.JPG

100_5291.JPG

100_5295.JPG

100_5301.JPG

Twigs

Nature Hobbyist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone8
Country
United States
Congrats!!! My corn was a fail this year...planted too late in the season and then it got hot. Well done on the harvest!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Congrats!!! My corn was a fail this year...planted too late in the season and then it got hot. Well done on the harvest!

I had the same problem, spring would not quick we still had cold rain and cold mud May 15. I learned my lesson years ago not to plant seeds is soil 65° or colder so I waited. Suddenly we had 95 degree weather. I waited then got worried 95° and no rain forecast for a week. I planted corn seeds then waited still 95° and no rain forecast for a week. I started watering seeds morning & evening 6 days later 1/2 the plants were coming up so I started watering longer morning & evening. Finally 2/3 of the plants were up 95° no rain for 3 weeks dry as desert I am still watering corn morning & evening. Then it rained then no rain for a month. Finally I decided to quit watering let it die & don't like to baby plants. Plants slowly got larger then 2" of rain then hot dry desert again. TN is not usually 95° and no rain May that usually come a month later in June. Corn looked bad 4' tall with tassels 98° every day. Then the rain came, 4" then 2" them 1" then 6", then 2" about every 3 days. Corn was suddenly 7' tall with silks on ears. Then no rain for a while then too much rain for 3 weeks. Garden was mud for a while. Finally 2 days ago mud dry enough I can walk in the garden I picked 30 ears that were ripe. I waited 2 days then picked 93 ears today. I am 30 miles south of Nashville TN TV News says we have broken heat records 47 days in a row. We had drought warnings then flash flood warnings then drought again then floods again. LOL. Wow what a roller coaster ride it has been. Seeds came up like 3 separate crops. In about 1 more week I can pick another 30 ears when they are ripe but we don't need more corn.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looks good. No bug or bird damage.

I'm fighting the grackles right now. The shotgun is seemingly persuasive but they are smart and bold characters. Always a lookout perched somewhere.

Ask a Question