JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This flower came from a Coreopsis "Mardi Gras" seed packet, likely this seeds was somehow mistakenly added with the mardi gras seeds. Its clearly not "Mardi Gras", but I can tell it is a type of Coreopsis, and I do like it since it adds a bit of variety. I would love to know what kind it is. I plan to collect the seeds and grow more next year.

DSCN6077.png

DSCN6077_2.png

Also, I'm still new to collecting seeds and would love to know how to store and prepare for Spring; Does it need a cold period to break dormancy, etc?

Reaction score
This flower came from a Coreopsis "Mardi Gras" seed packet, likely this seeds was somehow mistakenly added with the mardi gras seeds. Its clearly not "Mardi Gras", but I can tell it is a type of Coreopsis, and I do like it since it adds a bit of variety. I would love to know what kind it is. I plan to collect the seeds and grow more next year.

Also, I'm still new to collecting seeds and would love to know how to store and prepare for Spring; Does it need a cold period to break dormancy, etc?

Yes I can see how this un-named Coreopisis would very definitely stand out amongst your " Mardi Gras " :D

As there are so many Coreopsis varieties that are almost identical to the one in your photo - including a wild variety - its extremely hard to say for sure exactly which one yours is - so I'm going to hazard a guess and say that I think that it is possibly either

" Leavenworthii " - which is actually a little more orangey yellow than the one in this picture and more like the color of yours in real life

Coreopsis - Leavenworthii.jpg

or " Flying Saucers "

Coreopsis - FlyingSaucers.jpg

the only others that immediately spring to mind are " Lanceolata " or " Integrifolia ".

Yes Coreopsis are once again cold germinators and do best when sown in the autumn and if you do wish to store the seeds that you collect - if you store them in exactly the same way as I mentioned when discussing your Moss Rose or Portulaca seeds - you won't go too far wrong.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is an interesting Coreopsis flower, with completely yellow ray flowers and red disc flowers. However, the flowers proportions look different than typical Coreopsis leavenworthii, which is the only wild species that has completely yellow rays and red disks.

I wonder if that could be a hybrid between Coreopsis tinctoria 'Mardi Gras' and some accidentally introduced pollen from another yellow Coreopsis being grown at the seed farm.

Coreopsis leavenworthii and Coreopsis tinctoria, both in Coreopsis section Calliopsis, are the two Coreopsis species that have red disk flowers, but the OP plant doesn't quite look like a pure strain of either one of them. I wonder what the leaves looked like?

Ask a Question