Cordless lawn tools

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So far so good. I actually love the mower. I go through about 5ah worth of batteries, which means three batteries since I only have 2ah ones. Not a problem tough, a they charge fast and I have three anyway. Overall changing out batteries is faster than one stop for fuel. And it stores MUCH easier!

The weed eater is a huge step up from my previous electric and is say on part with my old two stroke in power. Except I about had a stroke trying to start the darn gas one!

IMG_20180413_130504078.jpg

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've got that same hedge trimmer and use it all the time - it's really good value and works well :). I was using it just a few days ago when I decided that the hottest day of the year (so far) was a good day to trim the hedges (it was not sensible!!! :eek::D).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I've got that same hedge trimmer and use it all the time - it's really good value and works well :). I was using it just a few days ago when I decided that the hottest day of the year (so far) was a good day to trim the hedges (it was not sensible!!! :eek::D).
B calls the aftermath of days like that "Death by Yard".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Excellent! Sold my heavy electric start Personal Pace self powered mower to an employee so I can get the echo 58v pushmower just in time for leaf season. I hope it can mulch as well as the toro..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I was on the fence about the echo stuff. Came down to availability for me on that one. Let us know how it holds up.
Me too, and I still like a rear wheel drive trim mower, but I have all the batteries and chargers from the 58v chainsaw, line trimmer and blower. I have no doubt it will be tough built gauging by the other three tools.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looking to go electric for my mower and would like to invest in a good battery system for mower, string trimmer, blower, pole saw and chain saw. Any good recommendations?
Hi, We have a lot of garden tools will be sold in half month later, autumn is coming soon, I think a leaf blower & vac is suitable for you, and if you are interesting, we can give it to you for free.

Attachments

• 03(1).jpg
    03(1).jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 255
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, We have a lot of garden tools will be sold in half month later, autumn is coming soon, I think a leaf blower & vac is suitable for you, and if you are interesting, we can give it to you for free.
oh my god,can i have one for free? I want to get a blower for my yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Plant Hardiness Zone 6b - near border 6a, Heat Zone 7
Country
United States
I realize this is an older thread but thought I'd comment.

About 5 years ago I decided to go cordless. First, I bought the Kobalt 80V trimmer on sale. Part of the sale was that it also came with a mail in rebate for an extra battery.

Then we got the Kobalt 80V mower about 8 months later. Same batteries so that's good.

On the plus side, the trimmer takes any of the Trimmer Plus attachments. I wasn't really impressed by the edger but the pole saw attachment has been great. I also have the hedge trimmer attachment but have only used it twice. Seems ok. The leaf blower attachment has been pretty good but LOUD. I now have the 80V Kobalt leaf blower as well though. It isn't as powerful as the trimmer plus attachment but the Kobalt is much lighter and more maneuverable.

On the negative, my trimmer line cap is about to wear through. I've tried for years to buy a couple just to have when it eventually fails but haven't been successful.

The wheels on the lawnmower went wonky about two years ago. Makes it much harder to push. Trying to get parts through Lowes and Kobalt has been a royal PITA. That's a shame since l have largely been a happy camper.

Lowes/Kobalt has had a redesign on the mower since I bought in.

I don't have to fool with gas or engine oil and I don't have to winterize. Slap that battery in and go. Big fan of that.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The only thing I switched to electric was the power washer. I decided to go electric with that because I use it max 3 times a year. The mower gets used every week and the blower even more. When cutting grass or blowing leaves I want power . From what I see of my neighbor's blower it can barely move a few inches of leaves let alone a pile. If the Exmark boggs down then I doubt that an electric mower could get through tall grass. I have no idea what batteries cost but if they are as expensive as the ones on my Dewalt drill then it's almost cheaper to buy a new drill.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This is going to sound like I'm shilling for the industry. I'm not. But I'm more than happy with the performance of electrics. Gone are the days of 18V yard tools.

The Kobalt mower has sensors. When mowing higher or wetter grass, it speeds up automatically. I sometimes have time slip away and the grass gets a little high but have never bogged down. It does use more battery when that happens just as a gas engine uses more gas when pushed. I have two leaf blowers, the 80V Kobalt as well as the Trimmer Plus blower attachment that fits on the 80V Kobalt Trimmer. The Trimmer Plus has more power and is also much louder. The Kobalt has three speeds.

Batteries are expensive. But I don't have to winterize, buy oil to mix with the gas I also have to purchase. There is no replacing of the little primer bulbs, no smoke, FAR LESS noise, and many municipalities and states have rebates for electric. There are far fewer parts to go wrong and be replaced at some point down the road. Like you, I also use mine weekly though I actually use the blowers for a quick sweep several times a week. I even used the blowers for snow removal this last year. Mostly powder but also if you chipped up surface ice, you could blow under it and it kept flipping up the packed layer and blew off underneath. That came in pretty handy and sped up getting to the car in the morning.

I don't have to burn hydrocarbons past initial production. I also no longer keep gas cans (and gave all mine away) or have to make trips to buy gas, and don't worry about stabilizing gas for the winter. No vapors, no fire hazards, no smells.

Best of all? No more yanking arms out of my sockets trying to pull-start anything. Flip a switch & squeeze a trigger. Ms. UrbanWild also appreciates that one.

The Trimmer Plus attachments I use most are the hedge trimmer, pole saw, and blower. The cost to add those to my Kobalt platform was not as large as buying all the standalone tools. The mower came with two batteries and the trimmer came with one but I bought it when they had a rebate for an extra battery when you bought it. So, I have four batteries that I can use in any of the tools. I also have the blower that iuses the same batteries. Since I have three chargers I can fully charge three batteries in about 20-30 mins. That means if I start with four fully charged, I'd have newly charged batteries coming off the chargers before I am physically able to discharge the ones I could already use. I'm going into my sixth season on my fleet.

Even Stihl has started putting out electric units.

Not trying to sell you, but the industry has been heading down this path for a while. In trade shows it's been reported that some more traditional companies have noted they will be all electric at some point.

The guy who owns the house three houses away from me has a commercial lawn and landscaping service with all the necessary large vehicles, tankers, trailers, pro machinery and tools. At home? He uses the same Kobalt 80v tools I do. In fact, I talked to him about his units before I took the plunge trimmer.

Again, the back mower wheels are a bit wobbly and I will eventually need a string cap for the trimmer. But after 5+ years of constant use that's it so far. The mower had a 3 year warranty. Can't remember what the trimmer had.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
BTW, I have seen all electric tillers and snow throwers but have used neither. I do wonder about the power issues with those.

Ask a Question