Controlling fruit flies

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
What is the best natural way to control fruit flies? I have made a trap with a bottle and cider vinegar, is there a better method?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I think that bottle of vinegar is the best remedy for fruit flies because it is not toxic. Just make sure that the hole in the bottle is just enough for the fruit flies to enter and not so small for the scent of the vinegar can pervade the air. The bottle of vinegar is very convenient since if there is a particular area that the fruit flies habituate like a small tree then you can place your trap there.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
You can also use beer. A beer can is placed in a shaded area protected from exposure from the sun. Fruitflies are attracted to fermented products which frequently occurs in fruits. They will fly into the liquid and drown as a result or be disabled by the ethanol. I have also seen a trap designed by an innovator to control fruitflies and will bring it to attention when I find the details.

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I tried something that I read on the net and that was placing salted cod tail fins in water inside a plastic jar with one hole per side, for the flies to get in. Once they are inside they can't find their way out and will end up drowning in the water. It not only catches fruit flies it catches all different types of flies. So far it has been working very well.

Ask a Question