Controlling wild strawberries

Reaction score
I have what are termed 'wild strawberries' in my garden, though semi-domesticated is probably a better description. The fruit are larger than true wild strawberries, but much smaller than cultivated forms. Their flavour, however, is beyond compare. Slightly tart but with a ripe berry flavour.

The only problem is that they spread everywhere and will root anywhere there's a suggestion of soil or plant matter.

Anyone know how I can keep good beds of them for the fruit, whilst still preventing them from taking over the garden? I don't want to lose them, as they crop all summer and the taste really is WOW!

Reaction score
Strawberries take time. My first year, I spent almost 8hrs a day weeding my bed in the garden...I wish my strawberries took over like yours did!

You would have to begin removing them from intermingling with your other plants and devout a section specifically to them. If you move them when they are dormant, they won't even know they've been moved.

Reaction score
Assign a certain section only for them, a big one at that. So when they become "unruly" it will be just them and other plants will not be affected. Besides, if you are planning to maintain them and to add others more, a large area is what you really need. So you may want to start considering transferring them instead of losing them.

Reaction score
Unfortunately the only wild strawberries we have in our yard are the tasteless ones. I guess there are flavorful ones and also tasteless ones. So I just pull them out before they start to grow too far since they have no taste to enjoy.

I would try to keep them in a section for just them and start to pull out some of the plants as they start to expand out of that area. They will spread rather quickly! But they also do pull out of the ground rather easily too if you need to thin them out a little bit - at least the ones we have are easy to pull out and I would imagine yours will be too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
The only wild strawberries that we have are the tasteless ones, too. I thought all wild strawberries were tiny but delicious, until we moved and had only yucky tasting berries. They do spread fast, but at least they can be pulled out of the ground easily, and I am hoping to start a little patch of regular size strawberries this year, and then those are welcome to spread all they want to spread.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
I am under the impression that those "tasteless" strawberries can be used to make a good jam or preserves. That is, if the birds don't get them first (The birds actually prefer them). I used to eat them when I found them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would be so lucky to have wilds strawberries grow in my yard. We have a ton of blackberries and I guess I do not appreciate them as much because they are everywhere and hard to control. I would love to have a mix of blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries grow in my yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
I would be so lucky to have wilds strawberries grow in my yard. We have a ton of blackberries and I guess I do not appreciate them as much because they are everywhere and hard to control. I would love to have a mix of blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries grow in my yard.
Blackberries are actually much healthier to eat! I have known a number of medical doctors who consider strawberries as unfit for human consumption!

Ask a Question