Oregano used for controlling Asthma!

Reaction score
I have a 13 year old son who is asthmatic and i read somewhere on one of these forums that oregano is great for controlling asthma...just wanted to know if anyone here have ever used this herb to help in curing this sickness?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
According to Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Herbs, oregano does have medicinal uses, mainly for coughs, headaches, and indigestion. The Herb Book by John Lust says basically the same thing, but does add that oregano helps respiratory ailments. Doesn't sound like oregano would help asthma.
By the way, Rodale's tells you about heaps of herbs, their cultivation, use, and even has recipes. I highly recommend it. The Herb Book is less helpful and harder to use.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I don't know about oregano, but I heard that the smell of eucalyptus oil helps people who are asthmatic, because it reduces swelling in the mucus membranes. Also, it treats colds and coughs.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like the smell of eucalyptus oil it does seem to help with my breathing when I walk by the trees in the area.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Yes, we always use oregano every time my nephew would seem to have his asthma attack. After drinking its juice squeeze from the oregano leaves, my nephew would feel better. It really stops his asthma before it becomes worst.

Reaction score
Yes, we always use oregano every time my nephew would seem to have his asthma attack. After drinking its juice squeeze from the oregano leaves, my nephew would feel better. It really stops his asthma before it becomes worst.
I would LOVE to try this with my son! But, how do you squeeze the juice out? Oregano leaves are so small and soft!

Also, how much juice is needed?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've never heard of using oregano as a treatment for the symptoms of asthma. I guess I wouldn't be surprised at all if many of the herbs we eat have additional medicinal properties. If it helps clear the sinus, I may get some oregano on hand for when I get severe colds!

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
My mother gather medium-size oregano leaves, put it inside a mug, pour some hot water inside, and let is stay for a few minutes. Afterwards, she will squeeze the juice out of the oregano leaves using her hands. Sometime she would get only about 2 tablespoon because that is only what my nephew can take. It would be a waste if she would squeeze more juice than what is necessary. Sometimes she also adds honey to make it a bit sweeter, but my nephew prefers to drink one without honey. I can tell you, it's really effective with my nephew's asthma.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Well, curing is one thing, controlling is another. There are a lot of things that can help control asthma and some kids do eventually grow out of it, but it depends on type of asthma and how active your child is. If the asthma is activity related, i.e. attacks happen after running around or playing sports, your son might benefit from playing a musical wind instrument. If it's allergy related, you'll want to change his diet and try to avoid allergy triggers.

Oregano is supposed to be very good for many ailments, but as with all herbs, you don't want to overdo it.

Reaction score
The meds that my son takes helps his asthma but does not cure it. He only weighed 777 grams when he was born, and while his body works it does not work WELL!

So we will add oregano to the mix this summer, and see what he thinks about it. He is now 20, and so this decision will be his.

Reaction score
No I haven't used oregano for controlling asthma but I have used it in my cooking. I'm aware of the many health benefits when it comes to oregano. My brother had asthma before and I know of some others who did as well. I know my mom used oregano in her cooking so my brother did use it before. I totally believe in all natural cures and I stay away from drugs that have harmful side effects.

Ask a Question