Compost tea

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you for all of the great composting ideas. I have goats and have been trying to figure out how to compost their manure. I also have horses. The horse manure is easy to access, but the goat manure is mixed with so much hay I don't know how to separate the goat manure from the old hay?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for all of the great composting ideas. I have goats and have been trying to figure out how to compost their manure. I also have horses. The horse manure is easy to access, but the goat manure is mixed with so much hay I don't know how to separate the goat manure from the old hay?
Don't try.
Just compost the lot.
Take a leak in it every now and again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I make lazy man tea. I sit a 5 gal bucket 1/2 full of rain water under my compost bin and let the juice for the mix drip into the bucket and after a few days I have a full bucket of tea.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We actually haven't tried compost tea but we have compost aside from humus. Our compost bin is just a hole in the ground that is a depository of excess vegetable trimmings from the kitchen and also fruits. It is a rich fertilizer when decayed and processed by earthworms. With humus, this are the dried leaves that we decay also in a hole in the ground. This is a more potent fertilizer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Honduras
I have a small black soldier fly operation set up on my little balcony garden and get compost tea from that. You're supposed to have 1 part liquid from the bin to 50 parts water, but I just put a little bit in a bottle and filled the rest with water. I honestly didn't notice any big changes. I started to experiment with a couple of mint cuttings that I was cloning to see if they would root better and faster in the tea, but my control in the plain water went missing, so I'll have to start the experiment again and post the results later. I love my black soldier flies, though. They're awesome at composting and even though the bin is right outside my window, I only smell it when I clean out my fridge and give them WAY more than they can handle.

Ask a Question