Compost tea

rick d PADGETT

All about tomatoes
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Trying for first time this Summer and getting poor results. Recipe; 1/2 g compost, 1 c worm castings [in bag with air stone], 1 c liquid kelp & fish eml., sea minerals 2 oz., humic acid 1/2 cup, . Four air stones and brew 3 days. I get no foam and does not smell good. Any advice will be appreciated or if you would share your recipe. Rate & how do you apply, soil drench or foliar spray.
Thanks
Rick Padgett

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Trying for first time this Summer and getting poor results. Recipe; 1/2 g compost, 1 c worm castings [in bag with air stone], 1 c liquid kelp & fish eml., sea minerals 2 oz., humic acid 1/2 cup, . Four air stones and brew 3 days. I get no foam and does not smell good. Any advice will be appreciated or if you would share your recipe. Rate & how do you apply, soil drench or foliar spray.
Thanks
Rick Padgett
You are using too much stuff. Try 1 cup good compost, 1/4 cup worm castings, 2 oz liquid kelp/fish emulsion , 2 oz liquid seaweed, 2 oz liquid humate and 2 oz molasses. If you are going to spray put all this stuff into panty hose or triple layer cheese cloth. If not just dump the whole thing into a 5 gallon bucket of water and weight the airstones down with a rock. 3 days with 90+F temps is way too much. It will go anaerobic and start to smell like sewer gas or ammonia. As to whether to use as a foliar or a drench it all depends on the purpose. Mostly I use it as a drench but about every 2 weeks as a foliar spray to help with fungal infections and insect control.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I made my latest batch (just started yesterday) in a hessian (burlap) potato sack.
I may be thick, but even I should have realised that this was the ideal tea-bag!
It's looking right good.
My batch size is 85l (22 US gal 19 UK gal)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I made my latest batch (just started yesterday) in a hessian (burlap) potato sack.
I may be thick, but even I should have realised that this was the ideal tea-bag!
It's looking right good.
My batch size is 85l (22 US gal 19 UK gal)
How do you make tea in a bag and why?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I make it in a bin.
I put the dry ingredients in a bag and tie it up to remove the need for straining.
I see. The largest container I have are 5 gallon buckets. When I want to spray my tea I put the dry ingredients in panty hose and even then it stops up the nozzle on my sprayer once in awhile. We call those burlap bags toe sacks over here and ours are too coarse to act as a filter plus they have little tiny almost microscopic little hairs that are part of the material and they come off and plug up things too Hope yours are different

Ask a Question