Compost scavengers

Reaction score
I have a friend that has a compost pile in her backyard, and lately she has had the problem of raccoons, and other pests getting into it, and just making a mess. She says that she tries not to put certain waste material in the compost pile that would attract the pests, but no matter what she contributes to the compost pile, she still has these little scavengers coming around.

What type of tricks can she do to help keep these pests away? Any suggestions would be great, thank you.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Once they've found good stuff in there they'll keep coming back just in case there's more. Only thing that'll keep them out is a physical barrier.
I built a bin out of scaffold planks, still didn't stop the rats gnawing thru the planks though:(

Jed

Reaction score
A compost tumbler would prevent pests or totally enclose the pile with bird wire.
I had problems with rats into my compost heaps and I had to stop putting food scraps in. I only use grass clippings animal manure mostly horse and straw. This works wonderfully.

Reaction score
A compost tumbler would prevent pests or totally enclose the pile with bird wire.
I had problems with rats into my compost heaps and I had to stop putting food scraps in. I only use grass clippings animal manure mostly horse and straw. This works wonderfully.

Yeah, I was going to suggest putting a chicken coop around it. I think the best solution is what you suggested...don't use food in the compost heap.

Reaction score
I can understand that once the bigger pests, like the raccoons find a good thing, it's really hard to stay away. Putting wire fencing around the compost heap is a really good idea, but it still won't keep the smaller pests away, such as rats and such. My friend will just have to stop putting food scraps in the pile, it's the only way I see to keep them out.

dim

Reaction score
put your compost bin in full sun and use the correct mix of greens and browns ... and keep the ingredients damp and mixed often ....

the heat generated will deter the pests and will decompose a lot quicker than in shade

Jed

Reaction score
With the right mix you can get the temperatures as high as 70C/160F.
Fresh grass clippings are a sure fire way of getting it there fast but ensure you do layer the clippings between the other matter.

Ask a Question