Compost on long island

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

I see there is a large firm known as Long Island Compost. I'm sure you found them as well with a quick web search.
I suppose they not what you are looking for. Is this because of because of price, quality, (in)convenience, or perhaps a high minimum volume?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I see. Perhaps you could buy their product 'second-hand' from a local landscaper.

One cubic yard is a difficult quantity. It's a large amount to to buy as bags, but it is a small amount to buy in bulk.

What will the compost be used for?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Canada
A lot of municipalities have a compost program, where they grind all the yard waste collected and then give it away. Not sure about the quality, but may be worth asking about.

Reaction score
Country
United States
A lot of municipalities have a compost program, where they grind all the yard waste collected and then give it away. Not sure about the quality, but may be worth asking about.
Yes, and that's why I was asking about the purpose of the compost. Some gardening tasks will require 'finished' compost which is rarely just given away, but the source material for compost: wood chips, manure, yard trimmings, grass clippings, etc. are often available for free.

Various applications of mulch, and of course composting itself can make wonderful use of these materials. Eventually they will decompose in place and the benefits of finished compost will be realized.

However if the task at hand needs finished 'compost', for example, soil amendment for immediate planting,then it is usually something one has to purchase. Though never say never, somebody out there may literally be giving gardening's 'black gold' away for free.

Ask a Question