Complete newbie here

Reaction score
Hello :)

What are the best herbs to grow for a novice like me?
Something that is hard to mess up and will get me acclimated to growing herbs in general?
Also, something that smells great as I plan to make teas and essential oils with the herbs I grow.
:) TIA.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I think in general herbs aren't too hard to grow so just choose what you like the most and I'm sure it will grow beautifully:D . As far as I've learned from my own experience, basil, thyme, rosemary and garlic are especially easy to grow:)

Reaction score
Thanks, Claudine! Hmm..I do intend to grow some basil. I've heard great things. And maybe some garlic indoors.

Reaction score
I hear that basil is really easy to grow, I haven't done that yet. But also onions are so easy It's one of the first things I grew. But as Claudine said herbs aren't too hard to grow. I think it's the easiest thing to start with.

Reaction score
I'm a newbie at growing my own herbs. I started with the basil from seeds and they are growing pretty good. I decided to grow some indoors and outdoors to see which ones would grow better. So far, indoors is winning.

Reaction score
I am a complete novice myself, and I plan on starting a window herb garden myself. Maybe the two of us can learn together. When I worked at the Italian restaurant, my boss grew fresh basil outside, all around the restaurant. It was so fragrant and fresh, and it looked like a breeze to grow. I'm hoping it can be just as easy for me.

Reaction score
I would start with mint or anything in the menthe family. They are hard to kill, a matter of fact they can be invasive so be sure you keep them contained. The menthe family includes, mint, lemon balm, penny royal, and etc. . There are a lot of the variety the to the family I just mentioned.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Oregano, sage, marjoram and thyme are also in the mint family, are relatively easy to grow, but not necessarily quite as hardy.
Oregano will do well in pots, but will not stand some of the worst winters, and should be sheltered or grown as an annual if you suffer severe winters.
Here, in my part of the UK, it sometimes makes it through outside.

Reaction score
Mint! Mint is excellent and grows no matter what you do to it. One time my neighbors gardener sprayed my mint plants with weed killer (he was mistaken where our boundary line is). They died, but came back next season! A little smaller, but still, they came back. You actually need to be careful with mint; it will take over your entire garden if you're not careful. Chamomile is also excellent, and smells great. You can actually step on it and it will not harm it at all.

Ask a Question