Flowering vine for complete shade

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The back of our garage is just a blank wall. It's the only part of the yard that gets no direct sunlight. The wall faces North and the neighbor's house shades it of morning sunshine and the shape of our house shades it from the rest. I've been able to find a variety of plants ideas for the bed...but the wall is so bare, I want a flowering vine to grow up it. Suggestions? Is there a type of clematis that will flower even without any direct sunlight?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't know if they will bloom without direct sunlight, but morning glories are beautiful flowers and great vines. Also, moon flowers, which bloom at night.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't know if they will bloom without direct sunlight, but morning glories are beautiful flowers and great vines. Also, moon flowers, which bloom at night.

I just read:

"Morning glories prefer full sun but will tolerate very light shade."

"Light requirements for growing moonflowers are adaptable, but more sun equals more blooms."

Do any vines flower without sun?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Did you particularly want a vine Colleen? There is a climbing Hydrangea that is evergreen and will help disguise your garage wall during winter months too.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just read:

"Morning glories prefer full sun but will tolerate very light shade."

"Light requirements for growing moonflowers are adaptable, but more sun equals more blooms."

Do any vines flower without sun?
Not that I'm aware of. But there's something out there for it, I'm sure. Sheal's idea is really good!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Yes, I think the climbing hydrangea is a great option for what you're after Colleen(y). They are meant to grow quite quickly, not that mine has but I think my idea of quickly may just be a bit unrealistic.:confused:

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would love to see how it turns out. You should post a picture once it's done.

Ask a Question