Community Seed Libraries?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know they've been around forever, but it seems like they're making a resurgence. I absolutely love ours. I never plant a whole packet of seeds so there's always waste. The seed library lowers the cost of planting and allows me a larger variety. It's even allowed us to branch out and help our community's food bank. The only drawback I've seen is some people don't replace the seeds they take.

For those who aren't quite sure what I'm talking about, a community seed library is where gardeners compile all their different seeds. Then you can 'borrow' what seeds you want and replace them either with a different seed or with the same type of seed at harvest. Ours is open to everyone and allows borrowers to replace the seeds when we harvest. There's no cost involved. If you borrow but don't replace, you can't get any more seeds. It's pretty straight forward.

Does anyone else use a community seed library?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds good, where do these things operate from, a public building?

We've got a seed swap parcel on the UK forum, members sign up to it, take the seeds they want and put in their surplus before posting it on to the next member on the list, strict 5 day turn around though, otherwise it wouldn't get round to everyone (Nearly 13,000 members over there)

Mind you, it did get lost in the post once.

Ask a Question