My Community Garden

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last year I was in an apartment and recently I moved into a townhouse. Unfortunately, I don't have a yard to grow my vegetables. However, my city has a raised bed community garden and this year I'll have a box to garden with my family. I'm really excited to start gardening in the next five to six weeks! Before the snow fell I decided to fly my remote control quadcopter with an attached camera at the park and passed over the raised beds. Here is the picture I took flying over.

Aerial Landscape Garden.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Wow I love the layout. Looks very Aztec-y to me. Do you know which is your box yet? Have fun getting those fingernails dirty.

Reaction score
Awesome! I A community garden is such a great idea for those who can't garden at home. I hope you guys really enjoy the experience, that place looks super =D I wish we had a place like that over here :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
What a wonderful idea for apartment and townhouse dwellers. There was a condo in our area that had a similar setup a few years ago but there were many problems with theft of veggies and tools etc. I really hope your community garden is a big success.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Awesome layout. Community gardens are good way to help the residents grow some of their own food and pass on what they do not use to others that maybe able to use it. It is also a social activity, you get to meet some of your neighbors while getting your gardening done. Thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm really excited for it. Pat, it's really true how it's a social activity. There's always someone out there and it will be fun exchanging new ideas. My bed will be on the far right on the bottom and surprisingly it's only $20 dollars for a season. They also include a water spicket in each section to attach a drip system. I was worried about the theft of tools and veggies too, but I was told none of that happened last year. I also live in a small town where the car door and front door is always unlocked.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Wow that is amazing. We have a community garden here, but it doesn't look as cool as that and it is no where as big as that one. Most of the area we live in is farm or livestock land so our community garden is pretty small. LOL Our community garden also donates a large portion of the vegetables it grows to the local food bank and soup kitchen.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow! It looks wonderful! I really like it. It's the first time when I see such neat and well-organised garden. The shape of it reminds me of a very big flower:)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Some of the large apartment complexes have gardening areas for their residents which is good for those that like to garden and don't have the room. I think I would do the community garden if I could just to be social, none of my neighbors are gardeners.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Very interesting on all fronts. How does the program work? Did you have to go through some kind of application process? Will you be able to keep your box after this upcoming growing season? There is a community garden around the corner from me, but because I have a backyard I've never needed to use it.

Reaction score
Awesome layout. Community gardens are good way to help the residents grow some of their own food and pass on what they do not use to others that maybe able to use it. It is also a social activity, you get to meet some of your neighbors while getting your gardening done. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, it is a very social activity! A great chance to socialize, sadly over here we don't have that, but the place where we are moving might have one very soon. I heard about some plans to create a community garden. That would be great, any excuse is good enough to get to know the neighbors =D

Reaction score
Country
United States
To get a raised bed, all I do is go down to city hall and fill out an application. I don't know if it's the same in other communities, but I only have the bed for a season. If you go early like I already have, you're pretty much guaranteed a bed. ChanellG, I have a neighbor who gardens in his backyard and gardens in the raised beds to get even more produce, that's always on option. When I've checked out the raised beds I was really impressed with how sturdy and new they look. The raised beds look high quality and would be great for a backyard.

Reaction score
Wow! It looks wonderful! I really like it. It's the first time when I see such neat and well-organised garden. The shape of it reminds me of a very big flower:)
Agreed, I think it looks beautiful from the aerial view.
I wish my neighborhood had something like that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is a wonder bed for you to do your gardening in, and a fantastic shot from your fly-over. I wish all apartments have a place like that for their resident, and I wish yours a success this year!

Ask a Question