Common/Swamp Milkweed Germination

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks JB...I add perennials every year, so I have added Meadow Blazing Star to my list. I only saw two monarch caterpillars last year (or maybe the same one twice) so I know they're around. I have some milkweed and coneflowers, and plan to add more of those too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I just learned that common milkweed spreads via a system of rhizomes. Are there any other varieties of milkweed that propagate in this way?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8-9
Country
United States
I saw a method online for germinating Orange milkweed (Asclepias tuberosa) by just floating them on top of 0.01% hydrogen peroxide (you can achieve this by mixing 1 tbsp 3% into a cup of tap water, then taking a tbsp of that, and mixing it into another cup). I suspect since the peroxide is so dilute it only keeps fungus and algae growth down, and quickly decomposes into salt and water. But this person had great success:
http://monarchbutterflygarden.net/cold-moist-stratification-milkweed-seeds/
I'm trying it with 5 species of Asclepoas (A. curassavica, A. incarnata, A. speciosa, A. tuberosa, and A. syriaca) and I'll be posting the results in a few weeks. I also have all but A. curassavica (according to link above it's more tropical and doesn't need cold) wet stratifying in the fridge.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I also have all but A. curassavica (according to link above it's more tropical and doesn't need cold) wet stratifying in the fridge.

A. curassavica is not native to the U.S., so make sure it doesn't spread any seeds when it matures, and make sure you cut it down in Autumn, too, so it doesn't negatively impact the Monarchs. It's a nice plant and definitely works as a great host plant, as long as it's managed. Here's a helpful article, if you haven't already read it:
http://monarchbutterflygarden.net/is-tropical-milkweed-killing-monarch-butterflies/

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I just learned that common milkweed spreads via a system of rhizomes. Are there any other varieties of milkweed that propagate in this way?

Many Milkweed species spread by rhizome. Common, Swamp, Showy, Prairie, Whorled, etc.
Common is usually considered the most aggressive spreader.

Orange Milkweed doesn't spread by rhizome, but it's not in the same family of plants, either. It's more of a milkweed relative than a true milkweed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Many Milkweed species spread by rhizome. Common, Swamp, Showy, Prairie, Whorled, etc.
Common is usually considered the most aggressive spreader.

Orange Milkweed doesn't spread by rhizome, but it's not in the same family of plants, either. It's more of a milkweed relative than a true milkweed.
That reminds me of when I saw some monarchs laying eggs on some Plumerias. I couldn't believe it and was wondering if these Plumerias were some type of milkweed. Turns out that Plumerias are in the same family (Apocynaceae) as milkweeds, so it's close enough to fool the monarch into laying eggs, but the caterpillar cannot eat the leaves, so it dies.

Here's some more info I found as I looked into the issue. http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/1787437/monarchs-and-plumeria

Excerpt:

In a glasshouse situation female monarchs were observed to place hundreds of eggs onto Plumeria leaves. Although plenty of milkweeds were present in the room, the volume of eggs placed on Plumeria was comparable. Presumably the plants are closely-related enough to milkweeds that they smell similar to a monarch. But Plumeria is not suitable as a food-plant. It is a complete egg-dump. The eggs hatch successfully, but the young larvae die quickly after biting into the Plumeria leaves. Presumably it smells nice enough to an adult monarch, but is very toxic to the larva.

This might have some interesting implications about monarch migrations. It might partly explain the differential success of migratory monarchs. If non-migratory monarchs in Central America are dumping eggs unsuccessfully on apocynaceous plants, it could be contributing to the much lower populations in those areas where such plants occur. Migratory monarchs moving into temperate North America not only find lots of edible milkweeds, but escape the ranges of deadly plants like Plumeria.

Plumeria is a very common tropical ornamental plant, and has very pleasant and fragrant flowers. But butterfly enthusiasts would be well-advised to not keep it in the same room with monarchs, unless you are seeking to suppress the population.

Dr. Scott R. Shaw

Professor and Curator

U.W. Insect Museum

University of Wyoming

Laramie, Wyoming 82071-3354

Editorial Note: Key to the monarch-Plumeria relationship is whether monarchs will lay eggs on this species in the wild. As Scott suggested in another email, this relationship might make a nice project for a student.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That reminds me of when I saw some monarchs laying eggs on some Plumerias. I couldn't believe it and was wondering if these Plumerias were some type of milkweed. Turns out that Plumerias are in the same family (Apocynaceae) as milkweeds, so it's close enough to fool the monarch into laying eggs, but the caterpillar cannot eat the leaves, so it dies.

The same is true for native Dogbane. Monarchs occasionally lay their eggs on it, but the caterpillars can't eat it.
Lucky for Monarchs, Orange Milkweed is still edible for their caterpillars.
By the way, I misspoke - or mistyped, Orange Milkweed is in the same family as milkweeds, but true Milkweeds are in their own subfamily.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I saw two more caterpillars yesterday that are close to leaving to find a spot to form their chrysalis, will try and get some pics later.

Here are a couple more pics after the butterfly started testing its wings and flew about 20 feet and sat in the sun to further dry its wings

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Does anyone have pictures of Common milkweed seedlings they'd care to share? I know where there is a farmer's field about a mile from the house, and there were a ton of milkweed seeds blown into it last fall. They will be be plowed under within a month or two, and since the soil is already looser there, it shouldn't be a problem to go scavenge save some for my own use. :whistle: ;)

I think I might also dig up one or two of the established plants, but since I usually only recognize them when they're a foot or so tall, does anyone have pictures of established plants returning in the spring? Any tips I should to know about transplanting Common milkweed? :unsure:

Ask a Question