Does common hazel attract mice?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking of getting some hazel for my yard for song birds and possibly a squirrel if I'm lucky but from some of the pictures I saw on Google images I saw a few of mice eating at the nuts and I definately don't want to attract any mice into the yard

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
If you don't have mice in your garden You must be the only one lol. It is a Fact that if you Feed the Birds your also feeding the Mice as they love nuts and Seeds. Hazel is a Nut Bearing Tree & Mice love Hazel nuts Just like Squirrels :).........Love Mice Its the only way If you like to Feed Birds ...............If you got mice you might get an owl visit .................They Love em(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
If you don't have mice in your garden You must be the only one lol. It is a Fact that if you Feed the Birds your also feeding the Mice as they love nuts and Seeds. Hazel is a Nut Bearing Tree & Mice love Hazel nuts Just like Squirrels :).........Love Mice Its the only way If you like to Feed Birds ...............If you got mice you might get an owl visit .................They Love em(y)

Ah ok I didn't realise that, the reason I was concerned about attracting mice is that I have chickens in the yard and was worried the neighbours might connect my hens with attracting mice to the yard but if mice are around anyway then that's ok, as long as it doesn't attract rats lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
P1000467.JPG
I think they are lovely trees. I Started this one off from a Nut about 7-8 years ago & love the catkins in winter. I took this shot of it last week. It still has a long way to go to Be fully Grown But It is already Feeding Birds & I Have picked a few Nuts Too(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 33693 I think they are lovely trees. I Started this one off from a Nut about 7-8 years ago & love the catkins in winter. I took this shot of it last week. It still has a long way to go to Be fully Grown But It is already Feeding Birds & I Have picked a few Nuts Too(y)

It looks lovely :) I ordered some hazel today from the place I got dogwood from, I'm looking to make both of them into short shrubs with lots of branches so they look nice in winter but I've never pruned or coppiced before, is it possible to prune them done with cutting them back all the way to the ground, like if I snipped the top few inches off from one of the hazel or dogwoods lead stems (they come 3 foot tall) would that have the same effect and create tiny branches to pop out? Or do you need to cut them all the way down to the ground for that to happen

Thanks for the help

Ask a Question