Hippeastrum commonly known as Amaryllis

Reaction score
As spring is very nearly upon us many people have been talking about the wonderful sight of tulips and daffodils - and as we don't grow those where I live in the Mediterranean, I thought I would introduce you to what we grow instead - just in case you too would like to see large clumps and pots full of these gorgeous plants - especially as this is the sort of sight you start to see around this time of year

Amaryllis flowerbed.jpg

Amaryllis in garden.jpg

I'm sure that most of you will be familiar with the houseplant variety of Amaryllis which is one that we grow here too, but we grow them outside together with some of the more exotic varieties - which grow as perennials and are more often than not evergreen - there are hundreds and hundreds of gorgeous colors and varieties to choose from - but here are a few of my favorites

Cherry Crush
Amaryllis_cherry_crush_1.jpg

Hippeastrum Papilio

Amaryllis Papilio.jpg

Hippeastrum - " Dracula "

Amaryllis dracula.jpg

Hippeastrum - " lima "

Amaryllis Hippeastrum 'Lima'.jpg

Hippeastrum Reticulatum - is a variegated form that looks stunning throughout the year due to its foliage

amaryllis hippeastrum-reticulatum703.jpg

Amaryllis reticulatrum.jpg

Amaryllis are very easy to grow and have a long flowering period - and they don't have to be lifted if planted outside, in fact if left in the ground they multiply like crazy and you soon find that you have a large clump.

Does anyone else grow these lovely plants outside or do any of you have any particular varieties that you enjoy growing either inside or out - if so please feel free to add your pictures here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
Wow thank you so much for sharing your beauty.

I got an amaryllis at Christmas it's growing great when I bloom I shall share photo,

I so wish we could grow them like you but in our climate no chance outdoors.

Reaction score
Those are really beautiful, specially the bright red ones! Those were my favorite ones in the whole bunch. I'd love to grow some of those. I've actually seen them, but I had no idea what they were called. They are quite popular over here.

Reaction score
What beautiful specimens and how lucky you are to be able to grow them outside and in your gardens. I can only grow them indoors where I live, its a shame because they are one of my most favorite plants. I do love the color I get from them during the dreary winter but it would be glorious to be able to see them outside.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
They're all so pretty! I like the 'Dracula', it's such a funny name for a plant!:D
My favorite Amaryllis variety is called Aphrodite, I've always had a soft spot for white and pink flowers:

aphrodite_amaryllis.jpg

1-aphrodite1.jpg

Reaction score
Gorgeous aren't they - which is one of my main reasons for wanting to introduce them to you all - however I realize that I totally forgot to say that most of the South African varieties as well as Reticulatum and Cybister will grow outside.

If you live in USDA Zones 7 - 10 these Amaryllis can be planted outside in any good free draining soil in the Spring and as they only take six weeks before they start blooming - will very quickly give you a stunningly colorful sight to behold :) and the more you remove the faded blooms the longer the flowering period will last and of course - as most of these and particularly Reticuylatum are evergreen - you are left with attractive foliage after they have finished flowering.

Scotkat - thank you and I shall look forward to seeing pictures of your little beauty :)

claudine - thank you for your pictures and I - also think " Aphrodite " is a really lovely Amaryllis, with a very pretty name too - would agree " Dracula " is rather an odd choice of name for such a beautiful flower :D

Reaction score
The Amaryllis plant is a gorgeous flower. This is so beautiful to look at. Unfortunately, I don't think these would bloom in my area. I live in the northeastern part of the United States. We do have cold winters here and often go right from winter to summer with very little spring in between.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Those are beautiful! I wish they grew well in our climate here. I've only ever seen them grown inside, but it's far more striking to see a whole bed of them together. Gorgeous!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Here is another Amaryllis variety that I really like, it's called "Picotee". I my opinion this plant looks very girly and subtle, I find it lovely, I hope you'll like it too:

6796_l.jpg

0_groot.jpg

Reaction score
Claudine - as I love the look of all varieties amaryllis - I can't help but like " Picotee " too and especially like the edging on the petals - unfortunately due to the harsh light that we experience here - most people seem to choose bright vivid flower colors in order for them to stand out - so sadly I rarely see the paler colors here - which Is why I'm always on the look out for some paler shades that have a hint of color in them - like this one called

" Fairy Tale "
amaryllis fairy tale.jpg

and this new introduction " Magic Green " which I would very much like to get hold of

Amaryllis - magic green -pot.jpg

amaryllis magic green.jpg

- especially as I think this would be a real stunner planted in a group :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Wow!! Amazing! They can grow into clumps?! I wish that my Amaryllis will grow like the ones you have here. :) I've been taking care of them and watching them closely ever since one of those I repotted bloomed so beautifully. Thank you for linking me to this thread!

Reaction score
Wow!! Amazing! They can grow into clumps?! I wish that my Amaryllis will grow like the ones you have here. :) I've been taking care of them and watching them closely ever since one of those I repotted bloomed so beautifully. Thank you for linking me to this thread!

My pleasure and totally agree - they're truly magnificent plants and I'm sure you'll be pleased to know - that if you are wanting beautiful clumps of Hippeastrum like the ones shown here - its very easily achieved - mainly because - as all the hardy outdoor varieties of Hippeastrum are generally grown in the ground and not lifted each year and they have a tendency to put out lots of offshoots or what are known as little bulblets around the mother bulb each year - they - providing the bulbs are left in the ground and not disturbed - very quickly multiply and become large clumps within a couple of years :)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Very pretty. This is a plant that I would like to see growing in a large pot on my deck. I will have to keep it in mind for next spring as fall is quickly approaching my area. Thanks for sharing your photos.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
My pleasure and totally agree - they're truly magnificent plants and I'm sure you'll be pleased to know - that if you are wanting beautiful clumps of Hippeastrum like the ones shown here - its very easily achieved - mainly because - as all the hardy outdoor varieties of Hippeastrum are generally grown in the ground and not lifted each year and they have a tendency to put out lots of offshoots or what are known as little bulblets around the mother bulb each year - they - providing the bulbs are left in the ground and not disturbed - very quickly multiply and become large clumps within a couple of years :)

My amaryllis that bloomed is planted in a pot. I guess I would have to see if I can transplant it so that more bulblets will grow. :)

Reaction score
My amaryllis that bloomed is planted in a pot. I guess I would have to see if I can transplant it so that more bulblets will grow. :)

Funny you should say that - as that was exactly what I was going to suggest - especially as I think it highly likely that your bulb will very probably have a few bulblets already - however - although October is a good time to plant Hippeastrum bulbs - if the one you have in a pot is currently showing any signs of grow - then I would suggest that you wait until its finished its growth cycle and stopped blooming before you transplant it into your garden - which will most likely be early spring - as they do best when planted during their resting period :)

Ask a Question