Church Wide Garden

Reaction score
Our church is preparing for its 4th year having a church wide garden! A member allows us to use his wonderful property. We plant 2 acres of garden. We have squash, tomatoes, beans, cucumbers, melons, potatoes, corn.....every kind of veggie you can think of. The plants are purchased with designated offerings to our church garden fund. The entire project is operated through volunteers. Each Sunday School class, mission team, or committee member will volunteer time throughout the growing season.

Everyone can do something. From taping up the veggie boxes to washing the produce, delivering to senior adults and needy homes, making phones calls to set up delivery, etc. The vegetables are harvested, washed clean, and set up on outdoor tables. Then the boxes are neatly arranged to not only be helpful with wide variety, but also to be beautiful in presentation....with multiple colors and shapes!

Hundreds of deliveries are made throughout the summer...every box free of charge. We have so much fun doing this. The best part has been seeing parents bring their young children out to help. The children are learning how to garden for the first time and seeing how God provides if we work hard. Its a wonderful experience from start to finish!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
What a wonderful thing your church is doing. A neighborhood church has started a community garden where you can rent a plot for the year at a very reasonable price. Surplus is set aside for anyone who wants it. They have also started a fruit garden with a variety of berries and fruit trees that is open to the public. It is wonderful hearing about similar things happening other places. You should be very proud to be part of such a giving community.

Reaction score
What a wonderful thing your church is doing. A neighborhood church has started a community garden where you can rent a plot for the year at a very reasonable price. Surplus is set aside for anyone who wants it. They have also started a fruit garden with a variety of berries and fruit trees that is open to the public. It is wonderful hearing about similar things happening other places. You should be very proud to be part of such a giving community.

Thank you so much. I have rheumatoid arthritis and sometimes I am not able to plant or even harvest for a very long time. But the goal is to find a job for everyone! So I usually work by folding and taping the boxes. Sometimes, I deliver the boxes with my husband. It is such a joy to help in some way. Also, those who volunteer often get to receive some produce as well. That is very nice for my family too. I have heard alot about community gardens. I think its a wonderful idea that brings all ages and types of people together for the common good. We need more that!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
What a wonderful blessing you and your church members are giving to the community. It helps the little ones learn to grow their own food and know that there is an alternative to going to the store to get food. The adults are getting exercise, meeting and helping the community.

I think this is such a great idea. I agree that we need more community gardens just for the fun of it. If you don't need the food someone else does. Shelters are always looking for fresh food.

Reaction score
Our church is preparing for its 4th year having a church wide garden! A member allows us to use his wonderful property. We plant 2 acres of garden. We have squash, tomatoes, beans, cucumbers, melons, potatoes, corn.....every kind of veggie you can think of. The plants are purchased with designated offerings to our church garden fund. The entire project is operated through volunteers. Each Sunday School class, mission team, or committee member will volunteer time throughout the growing season.

Everyone can do something. From taping up the veggie boxes to washing the produce, delivering to senior adults and needy homes, making phones calls to set up delivery, etc. The vegetables are harvested, washed clean, and set up on outdoor tables. Then the boxes are neatly arranged to not only be helpful with wide variety, but also to be beautiful in presentation....with multiple colors and shapes!

Hundreds of deliveries are made throughout the summer...every box free of charge. We have so much fun doing this. The best part has been seeing parents bring their young children out to help. The children are learning how to garden for the first time and seeing how God provides if we work hard. Its a wonderful experience from start to finish!

This is a great idea. Children will learn valuable skills such as planting, weeding and picking the crops once they're ready to be harvested.
Children will also learn an even more valuable lesson: how to help others in need. This project will have a positive impact on the children and the people who receive the produce.

Ask a Question