No Church today - Roman City instead

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I worked out in Turkey on the City of Aphrodisias some years back.

Had to walk past this on the way to work in the morning.

Marble storage jars.

The city was only partly excavated so you could see the remains of later drainage works, there was a backfilled trench that was full of tesserae from an old mossaic.

My crew and I, had to teach them how to use lime mortar in extreme conditions, goes from 50c in the summer to 3 foot of snow in the winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
@zigs
What do the Turks plan to do with the excavations of ancient cities? An open-air museum or just a scientific work? When I saw such ancient cities in Turkey, the Turks said that they were proud of it and did not destroy it. However, everything was overgrown with plants and I did not see any special signs of care on their part.
What did they want?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's a big time tourist attraction now. I was impressed that they wanted to conserve the parts they excavated rather than just leaving them exposed to further decay :)

We had to reposition some marble seats in a small ampitheatre, between them we found coins and old chicken bones, probably dropped as they were sat there a few thousand years ago just as we might drop something in the cinema :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We had to reposition some marble seats in a small ampitheatre, between them we found coins and old chicken bones, probably dropped as they were sat there a few thousand years ago just as we might drop something in the cinema :)

That's awesome! (y) Did you get to keep anything you found?

Ask a Question