Chili Powder

Reaction score
Country
United States
Today I made chili powder. I used 18 Red Anaheim peppers & 2 Red Jalapeno peppers dried in the hot sun about 7 hrs on the dash of my truck parked in the sun. I put all the sliced peppers on 3 pans. After peppers were dry I put all the peppers on 1 pan stir them around and most of the seed fall on the pan. Curly peppers are easy to pick up in 1 big wad to dump away the seeds. I hand crunched dry peppers several times a few more seeds fell off. Food processor is too slow to make fine powder but it did a nice job of making smaller pieces. High speed kitchen blender made fine powder very easy in 60 seconds. This made 3/4 cup of chili powder. Next we need to cook with chili power to test the hotness. It was interesting to see Jalapeno peppers dehydrated to almost nothing compared to Anaheim, it will be interesting to learn how much hotness comes from the 2 Jalapeno peppers. Top left corner of the rectangle pan is were sliced Jalapeno peppers were, pan looks almost empty in that location. Look at the same rectangle pan in the truck window round slices are Jalapeno top left corner. Dry Jalapeno peppers look like tiny pieces of red Styrofoam. I plan to make another 4 lbs of chili powder again this year, it is good in, chili, Mexican, stir fly, pizza sauce, etc. You can also make paprika. Red or Green chili powder. I have 4 Anaheim plants and 1 Jalapeno plant in full sun they get water every day & 6-12-12 fertilizer plus lime once a week.

100_8306.JPG
100_8308.JPG
100_8322.JPG
100_8326.JPG
100_8325.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I bet you got a burn somewhere from handling all those peppers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bet you got a burn somewhere from handling all those peppers.
Red Anaheim peppers are Enchilada sauce peppers they are very good flavor and not very spicy hot. Jalapeno are low heat compared to many other peppers. I make chili powder every summer we like low spicy range, MILD is what we buy at the store when we buy, salsa, Enchilada sauce and other sauces. I like very hot spicy food but my stomach can't take it anymore. Wife has no gallbladder she can't eat much hot spicy food either. My 4 Anaheim pepper plants are loaded with green peppers plants it takes about 3 week for green to become red. I wash Anaheim pepper plants would speed up and make Red Anaheim peppers faster. Oh well first frost is Nov 1 I have plenty of time to allow green peppers to turn red in the kitchen. When frost is in the forecast I can probably harvest 300 green peppers each plants has about 70 peppers. Anaheim peppers turn red on the plant or inside the house too.

I have a lot of Carman peppers these are sweet and better flavor than bell peppers and grow very well in 95° temperatures. Bell peppers stop producing peppers in this heat but till produce 40 peppers per plant in Oct. Carman peppers have about 40 peppers on them all summer and better flavor that bell peppers. I will never plant bell peppers every again. Carman has bell pepper beat 10 to 1.

Photo shows, Left is 2 Red Anaheim peppers usually 9" long. Right is, 1 Carman sweet pepper usually 7" long.

100_8328.JPG

Ask a Question