Chicken poop fertilizer?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Headfull, I'd love to do that, but our ladies have wanderlust and our gardens aren't fenced. I may make a "playpen" that will hold three or four hens and move them around the gardens. Me, carrying chubby hens out to the playpen, will certainly entertain any passersby!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
If you have chicken manure because you actually have chickens, rather than just a source of manure, I'd advise letting your chickens onto your plot prior to planting.
They will clear every seed from your plot, and you'll have no annual weeds in near future.

That's a really good point! I never thought of that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
If you have chicken manure because you actually have chickens, rather than just a source of manure, I'd advise letting your chickens onto your plot prior to planting.
They will clear every seed from your plot, and you'll have no annual weeds in near future.

There are loose chickens in our neighborhood and sometimes they come to our extended garden, i.e. the vacant lot beside our property. Those chickens are a nuisance because they tend to scratch the soil and ruin the garden. Our bed of sweet potato had been a victim already, leaving the bed with dead vines. So I don't think that is a good idea of letting the chickens do their thing.... unless they are trained to eat the seeds of the weeds only.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
There are loose chickens in our neighborhood and sometimes they come to our extended garden, i.e. the vacant lot beside our property. Those chickens are a nuisance because they tend to scratch the soil and ruin the garden. Our bed of sweet potato had been a victim already, leaving the bed with dead vines. So I don't think that is a good idea of letting the chickens do their thing.... unless they are trained to eat the seeds of the weeds only.
I did say, "prior to planting".

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
Chicken poop is high quality fertilizer. It works better than chemical fertilizer. However, you should never use fresh chicken poop. The poop that you are using should be at least 15 days old and never use too much poop for plants. Always mix poop with saw dust before you use.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, I learned something today. Thank you guys for wonderful tips. I never knew you could use chicken poop this way. That kind of makes me feel silly that I never thought about this, but I've never been around chickens that much, though I know people with chickens. The more you know.

Ask a Question