Cauliflower! Blooming yay

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all! I wanted to share my cauliflower pics. They actually are forming heads. It’s been rainy and getting chillier. The white ones in the summer came out slightly purple then, but now I see them all white :unsure: And I finally got a purple one coming:p:cool:

I know they can tolerate cold, but should I do anything to shelter? How old is too cold? Same question for broccoli and cabbage please. Thank youuu

Reaction score
Country
United States
forgot the pics

Attachments

• A5FE1FCB-3EBF-4594-9B67-571A58087F0F.jpeg
    A5FE1FCB-3EBF-4594-9B67-571A58087F0F.jpeg
    176.6 KB · Views: 30
  • E0F0D446-B19B-4B03-B73F-450904F8585F.jpeg
    E0F0D446-B19B-4B03-B73F-450904F8585F.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 37
  • EAE79B24-F058-419B-B7B9-8CD48440AC8A.jpeg
    EAE79B24-F058-419B-B7B9-8CD48440AC8A.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 39
Reaction score
Country
United States
As a general rule cole crops (Brassica cvs) such as broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower can take frosts down into the twenties, somewhat more or less depending on their exact situation and how quickly the temperatures change. If possible, try using row covers or frost cloth on cold nights, as this will give you several more degrees of frost protection.

Reaction score
Country
United States
OK. Great I have hoops and covers so I will set that up today. Brussels sprouts too, correct? They never formed any sprouts, but I see one plant that looks like it really wants to give me some. I see bumps in the connection of the leaf and stem….just like the broccoli side shoots do.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
It depends on several factors...there isn't one absolute number. I've had all three broc,cauli,and brussels survive temps in the upper teens...but our cold snaps are normally short lived. i.e. the number of hours with temps in the teens is generally less than 1/2 a night for "normal" cold fronts.

It helps to make sure the plants are well hydrated and healthy when going through those low temps.

To me, the brussels are the most cold tolerant of the three...right up there with turnips... and the cauli is the least tolerant.

You will be having some heads ready in a couple of weeks looks like. Mine is not nearly that far along as I like to start harvesting in November and continue through the winter here.

broc 2021.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow! :D That broccoli looks so big. Mine aren’t that big. I have brussel sprout plants, but only one plant is starting to show signs of little heads forming! I don’t know if they still have enough time to grow but I a, excited to see something happening. I have been harvesting the greens from the stem since I didn’t see anything forming. I honestly found outrecently where they grow from…lol I expected little heads on top like cauliflower or something… they are something else so interesting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow! :D That broccoli looks so big. Mine aren’t that big. I have brussel sprout plants, but only one plant is starting to show signs of little heads forming! I don’t know if they still have enough time to grow but I a, excited to see something happening. I have been harvesting the greens from the stem since I didn’t see anything forming. I honestly found outrecently where they grow from…lol I expected little heads on top like cauliflower or something… they are something else so interesting.
I harvested my Brussells Sprouts on Christmas day last year!

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Thanks NativeOddity. Great soil !

Harvesting the greens from the brussels will delay and reduce your harvest of the bulbs. Those leaves are what generate the energy for the bulbs to grow. Its a trade-off. The greens are certainly good!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ohh ok … you know when I saw that one plant sprouting like that I thought to myself to leave the greens alone. Instincts ;)

Ask a Question