Cauliflower heads what are the brown spots?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

I have 4 cauliflowers with brown spots on heads but not sure why and what they are? Are any of them edible?

Thanks in advance as it's my first time growing them so would love to not throw them away!
PXL_20210717_091015512.jpg
PXL_20210717_091939661.jpg
PXL_20210717_091935493.jpg
PXL_20210717_091924684.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sunburn doesn't make them inedible. Perhaps @headfullofbees will reply. He is the local brassica expert on the forum and knows a lot more about growing things in the UK than I do.
Okay thanks Chuck I didn't think that would make them inedible I just want to be sure as I'll probably harvest them soon before the heat here gets too much but I don't want to eat them if they turn out to be some kind of rot or mold etc

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Agree with Chuck. Covering the heads during growth will help. Although the florets are still edible, the browning quickly advances to rotting. In the kitchen, the affected parts can be scraped/sliced away, but often signs of the decay go deeper. Mould will follow fast. Fast freezing of the florets can often prolong storage.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I think you have varying degrees of slug damage there.
Certainly the top one, which has most damage, the leaves seem to be eaten away.
Whilst all will be edible, that top one looks unappetising, and I'd be inclined to ditch it, and just pare the rest back a bit with a kitchen knife when preparing.
At this time of year, cauliflowers don't stand well for long, and I think that's making some of the damage look worse.
I tend to think that autumn & winter are better harvest times for cauli's in the UK, so I grow varieties that suit.
They are far from the easiest brassicas to grow, & for a first time, you have done well.
The curds look good, & you've just been a little unlucky.
Slugs LOVE brassicas, protect them.

Ask a Question