Cat and Plant

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Just sharing this picture of my cat, Chi, who absolutely adores this plant. I don't know what this plant is though. :) I hope you all are having a great day!

5pr69f.jpg

Reaction score
Your cat is adorable. Thank you for sharing the photo. We have these plants in Florida too, I'm just drawing a blank on what they're called.

Reaction score
Just sharing this picture of my cat, Chi, who absolutely adores this plant. I don't know what this plant is though. :)

A really cute puss you have there - I have a white cat very similar to your Chi - who also seems to enjoy tending my plants in much the same way as yours is doing - although I have to admit that he is currently looking more like a ginger cat rather than white one - as hes been rolling around in the red dirt outside :D

As to what your plant is - which I have to say looks to be an extremely healthy specimen - would hazard a guess and say that it is one of these

Schefflera Aboricola sometimes known as an Umbrella Tree

Schefflera - Arboricola Compacta.jpg

Although often grown as indoor plant - its also - in areas that have a warm climate - a very popular outdoor plant too - where it often grows to be huge :)

Reaction score
Your plant definitly looks like a Schefflera. I am thinking it is the way the leaves move in a slight breeze that makes it attractive to your cat. Yours looks like the kind with the smaller leaves. There is one variety that gets very tall and has much larger leaves. You have a lovely cat and he looks like he is enjoying your plant!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Your cat looks so cute hiding out in the plant. I wonder if it is just your cat, or if cats in general are attracted to those kind of plants. We have a large Rhody bush on our back porch and my cat likes to go out there and chew on the leaves.

Reaction score
We have a large Rhody bush on our back porch and my cat likes to go out there and chew on the leaves.

If you cat likes to chew on the leaves of your Rhododendron - then I think it might be wise if you value having your cat around - that you find some way of stopping it from chewing on the leaves of your plant - as all parts but particularly the leaves of both Azaleas and Rhododendrons - are known to be poisonous to both cats and dogs.

Reaction score
Your kitty is so beautiful!!!!! He is so adorable... standing there just next to your plant like a little boy with a toy. I hope your little boy is ok :):love:

Reaction score
Just sharing this picture of my cat, Chi, who absolutely adores this plant. I don't know what this plant is though. :) I hope you all are having a great day!

5pr69f.jpg
Omg !!! What a cutie! It's funny... my cat loves a certain plant on our back porch and he is always near it! :) Getting into it and sniffing it!! I have no idea why he does it!! Cats are silly... love them so much !! Amazing personalities. :)

Danyel :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Thanks for the kind words, everyone! My mom is trying her best to convince my cat to stay away from this plant because he is alwa playing with it with his claws out. As a result, many of the leaves are torn.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Your cat is so cute!:D How old is he? Does he play with your other plants as well?
I'm a dog owner, I have a Yorkshire Terrier. Fortunately, he couldn't care less about my miniature roses, he always ignores them;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Your cat is so cute!:D How old is he? Does he play with your other plants as well?
I'm a dog owner, I have a Yorkshire Terrier. Fortunately, he couldn't care less about my miniature roses, he always ignores them;)

He is around three years old. I don't know his real age because he is a rescued cat. I adopted him from a cat welfare group on Facebook when he was maybe 3 months old. He likes the other plants in our garden! My mom and I shush him all the time because we don't know if some of the plants are toxic to cats. He likes eating the bamboo grass though. He also chews on the bark of the okra. :p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
That was so sweet of you!:) I always feel happy when I hear of rescued cats and dogs. I can't stand the thought of suffering animals.
It's so funny and adorable that your cat likes eating the bamboo grass:) My little dog loves chewing regular grass and small pieces of wood which he finds in our garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
That was so sweet of you!:) I always feel happy when I hear of rescued cats and dogs. I can't stand the thought of suffering animals.
It's so funny and adorable that your cat likes eating the bamboo grass:) My little dog loves chewing regular grass and small pieces of wood which he finds in our garden.

Does he/she throw up after? My cat loves eating bamboo, but then, he will throw up afterward. I read that this is one of the ways cats heal themselves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Does he/she throw up after? My cat loves eating bamboo, but then, he will throw up afterward. I read that this is one of the ways cats heal themselves.
No, he doesn't throw up. But I'm pretty sure he doesn't swallow all the wood that he chews, just small pieces of it.
Maybe bamboo works for cats the same way as grass works for dogs. I heard that they eat it when they have digestive problems.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
No, he doesn't throw up. But I'm pretty sure he doesn't swallow all the wood that he chews, just small pieces of it.
Maybe bamboo works for cats the same way as grass works for dogs. I heard that they eat it when they have digestive problems.

I hope that my cat doesn't have digestive problems. He just came back from the vet a few months ago because of renal problems though. He was confined for three days. Anyway, my mom hid the potted bamboo this morning because most of the leaves are now missing. It will die because of my cat! LOL

Ask a Question