Plant Identification

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello, and I hope you all are doing well :D

I am hoping that some of you could assist me with identifying a plant that has started growing in my Avocado tree pot.

I've attached some photos of the plant.

It sort of looks like a vine ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20180509_173821.jpg
    IMG_20180509_173821.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_20180509_173830.jpg
    IMG_20180509_173830.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_20180509_173846.jpg
    IMG_20180509_173846.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 226
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello, and I hope you all are doing well :D

I am hoping that some of you could assist me with identifying a plant that has started growing in my Avocado tree pot.

I've attached some photos of the plant.

It sort of looks like a vine ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
That is a wild grape. With any luck it will be a Muscadine Grape.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is a wild grape. With any luck it will be a Muscadine Grape.

Awesome! That is exactly what I was hoping for -- just didn't want to influence the outcome!

I have 3 domesticated grapes already growing and this would be a lovely addition. I've always liked wild fruit plants :D

Thanks man!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've been trying to get it to grow in my yard, but so far no luck -- I also like wild fruits for the wildlife. How did you get it started?

That's the thing . . . I didn't.

I bought this Avovado tree like two months ago.
I noticed about 3 or 4 weeks ago a seedling had popped up. I got some intuition that it was not just a piece of grass or something so I let it grow for a bit.

I wouldn't even know where to get wild grape seeds anyways besides online or going to hunt for it in the wild (which I suppose is everywhere here in Texas. They are native here from my understanding - so that's why it's probably growing with no trouble).

It's funny because a pecan tree also sprouted from the same pot. This sort of thing always seems to happen to me. I get these weird wild/unidentified fruits growing in my garden.

I want to separate the grape vine but scared to kill it because it's so fragile . :p
I wish you luck and sorry, wish I could help more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That's funny, because I just bought an American Beautyberry and I also noticed a seedling growing under it and I'm allowing it to grow, because I think it might be something special.

I have tons of these wild grapes growing every where, but it's tough to dig them up, because they have very deep tap roots...need to find a seedling or maybe wait until grapes mature and bring them into my yard...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That's funny, because I just bought an American Beautyberry and I also noticed a seedling growing under it and I'm allowing it to grow, because I think it might be something special.

I have tons of these wild grapes growing every where, but it's tough to dig them up, because they have very deep tap roots...need to find a seedling or maybe wait until grapes mature and bring them into my yard...

That's awesome! :D

Luckily, the seedling is in a pot so it should not be too difficult for me to separate it. I'm super excited about it :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That's awesome! :D

Luckily, the seedling is in a pot so it should not be too difficult for me to separate it. I'm super excited about it :D
Have you noticed that ALL of the central Texas wild grapes ALWAYS grow in an understory location. That is under trees or brush and never in the open? The reason for this is that they all prefer SLIGHTLY acidic soil and after all of the years of dropping leaves from the trees and brush it has made the soil less alkaline. So, if you manage to transplant it make sure to add a little peat to the potting mix or the plant will be forever yellowish and not produce well.
There are at least 4 different wild grapes in Texas and one of these only grows in one small area. Of the other 3, two are of interest. One is called a mustang grape. It is the most common of the two. It's OK for jelly, jam and wine. The best of the two for jellies, jams and wine is called Muscadine, which I think you have. The only bad chapter of this story is that they are all absolutely terrible table grapes. They are very acidic and have thick tough skins. On some people the mustang grape actually causes blisters on the lips an inside of the mouth. The muscadine is a much better grape than the mustang.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've been trying to get it to grow in my yard, but so far no luck -- I also like wild fruits for the wildlife. How did you get it started?

roadrunner, maybe you could try buying a few small bunches of organic grapes, and putting them under some mulch? :unsure:

I imagine an animal might eat them, so they might come up in an entirely different place, because :poop: :cautious: !!

Or the seeds might need to be stratified, like the flax that came up a year later (y), but it might work!! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Maybe I'll try that...BTW, that reminds me of something strange happening to me this year. I've been throwing out a lot of cantaloupe and watermelon rinds as I normally do, but this year it's almost as if all the seeds are germinating.

I don't know if they'll produce, but I already have some flowers on the cantaloupe; I'll be:watching:....:geek:

Ask a Question