Calla Lilies

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Wondering when I plant the Calla Lilies I saved last year indoors. Have had them in the basement all winter. I am in zone 5. Do I start them in a pot. Thanks.

Brian

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
They are not hardy in your zone so a pot would be far easier and possibly more decorative than planting them in the soil and having to dig them out. They will come out as the sun warms the soil so a sunny place is best. We leave them in the soil here in zone 8, and they are about 12 inches high and beginning to unfurl now.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in zone 6a, (NE Ohio/USA). I've had Calla Lillies survive the last few winters in my flower bed under alot of mulch. They haven't poked their noses out of the ground yet but I'm hoping they survived another winter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
They are not hardy in your zone so a pot would be far easier and possibly more decorative than planting them in the soil and having to dig them out. They will come out as the sun warms the soil so a sunny place is best. We leave them in the soil here in zone 8, and they are about 12 inches high and beginning to unfurl now.
I planted new bulbs in a pot this year and they are yet to come out. But I just planted them about 3 weeks ago. May take longer to overcome the dormancy

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would pot them. They multiply like you wouldn't believe. We planted 10 of them about 20 years ago and now we have 90 of them, and we do dig up bulbs and give them away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm in 6a and they are hardy if planted at the base of the house's foundation, just like Canna.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Shhh. Dont tell, bit my neighbor has some excellent yellow calla lilies expanding into my lawn that I plan to lift to another area. Great full sun high heat flowers!

Ask a Question