Bush/Shrub stump removal

Reaction score
All

Any idea how to best get rid of this bush stump? I have about 3 just like this I need to somehow rip up. We tried pulling out with a tractor but no luck. They are about 8"-10" wide.

Picture can be found at, https://flic.kr/p/FcdmNJ.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Unless you can remove them yourself and have the money, I would probably get in touch with a tree service that has stump removal.

Agreed.

The alternative would be to dig down all around it, hack off the roots using a root breaker (long, heavy tool with a blade at the bottom end) and remove the stumps once they're free. However, it's back breaking work!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
If the tractor didn't work then it's going to be very difficult to do it manually. Usually if you want to get it out by tractor you need to leave a few feet of trunk so that the tractor can use leverage. Unfortunately, you don't have that option.

A stump grinder will take it down to a reasonable depth. They're not cheap to hire and take a bit of skill. :unsure:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
When we have a stump that has to be removed, we simply build a charcoal fire on top of it, and stand by with a hose, bucket of water, and a wet broom (bucket of water and broom are for smacking out embers). If you are in town this may not be an option. However, it removes the stump down to about 3" below the soil line. After the fire is out we shovel dirt into the hole until it is slightly above the soil line (the fresh dirt will settle, and you may need to add more.)
The charcoal is slow burning so the stump doesn't go up in a blazing inferno, and if the fire hits a damp spot in the stump, we add more charcoal. I don't advise trying to cook anything over this fire;).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
If we are talking bush, that is easy. And done a few myself. Just dig around the roots. Get a chain to anchor to the roots, or a strong rope. Tie to your car. and slowly move car forward, done.

Ask a Question